Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 423772 times)

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: WHERE CAN I GO?
« Reply #450 on: December 25, 2005, 11:17:28 PM »
is there  reason why you are rushing to graduate? (financial aid concerns etc?) because if you want my honest opinion, that 2.72 is really going to hurt especially if that is the second to last semester on your transcript.  of course all of this depends on what kind of school you are aiming for, but if you are looking to the top 25 my advice would be to talk with your college/financial aid office and see if you can stay at least one additional semester (perhaps reducing your course load).  And you want to shoot for ideally 3.7+/minimally 3.5 to show them you can handle the work.

So you are saying that law schools will not take my medical excuse? If this is the case, I think that it is really sad and unequal. I had to work, have surgery, take a heavy credit load, etc. While some other rich kid (minorities included) could run and ask daddy or mommy for money. I thought that law schools were fair and equal. If you equate my GPA to some other kid who did not have to work, did not have to live in a homeless shelter, did not have to have surgery and miss two weeks, etc. I believe that my GPA is equivalent to a 3.5/3.6 if you consider the circumstances. Furthermore, I have seen many people on LSN (specifically URM's) who got accepted in to t14 schools with a 3.1 or lower in some cases. I can not afford to go to school an additional semester. As I said before, I am not going to alter my life just to get into law school. If they accept me they accept, if they don't they don't. Life will go on.
[/quote]

I'm saying they may look at your medical excuse as say--why didn't this guy simply withdraw for the semester instead of trashing his gpa?  obviously there are people who have gotten in with similar/lower numbers--most had a rising grade trend.  the others had a good deal of post-graduation work experience. 
of course this is one person's advice so feel free to trash it, but I think you'd be well advised to see if you can work something out.

zacharyl20

• Sr. Citizen
  • My dream SUV.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 26, 2005, 02:04:37 AM »
I'm saying they may look at your medical excuse as say--why didn't this guy simply withdraw for the semester instead of trashing his gpa?  obviously there are people who have gotten in with similar/lower numbers--most had a rising grade trend.  the others had a good deal of post-graduation work experience. of course this is one person's advice so feel free to trash it, but I think you'd be well advised to see if you can work something out.
[/quote]

Thank you Agitator and Shae for your admission advice. Agitator my PS will be based on how poor I am. If any admissions committee ask "why didn't this guy simply withdraw for the semester instead of trashing his gpa?" Hopefully, they would understand that I could not afford to withdraw from courses after I was registered for them. Unfortunately, I am on full financial aid (scholarships, loans, grants, etc) I am sure that you know that once you register for a semester you are responsible for the bill. I had already started the first week when I found out when my surgery was going to be scheduled. Once again I am not an elite black so I could not schedule my surgery at my convenience. I am on medicaid and my surgery wasn't going to be scheduled until they approved payment for the surgeon. Removal of a non-cancerous tumor is not considered life threating, however, it is extremely painful. Therefore, approval for payment took longer than usual. I apperciate your advice, but your advice seems to be more geared toward upper class blacks than poor blacks such as myself. Once again it is easy for Johnny to go to mommy or daddy and ask them to pay for half of the tuition bill because he needs to drop his courses for medical purposes, unfortunately that is not my case.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 26, 2005, 02:47:56 AM »
I'm saying they may look at your medical excuse as say--why didn't this guy simply withdraw for the semester instead of trashing his gpa?  obviously there are people who have gotten in with similar/lower numbers--most had a rising grade trend.  the others had a good deal of post-graduation work experience. of course this is one person's advice so feel free to trash it, but I think you'd be well advised to see if you can work something out.

Thank you Agitator and Shae for your admission advice. Agitator my PS will be based on how poor I am. If any admissions committee ask "why didn't this guy simply withdraw for the semester instead of trashing his gpa?" Hopefully, they would understand that I could not afford to withdraw from courses after I was registered for them. Unfortunately, I am on full financial aid (scholarships, loans, grants, etc) I am sure that you know that once you register for a semester you are responsible for the bill. I had already started the first week when I found out when my surgery was going to be scheduled. Once again I am not an elite black so I could not schedule my surgery at my convenience. I am on medicaid and my surgery wasn't going to be scheduled until they approved payment for the surgeon. Removal of a non-cancerous tumor is not considered life threating, however, it is extremely painful. Therefore, approval for payment took longer than usual. I apperciate your advice, but your advice seems to be more geared toward upper class blacks than poor blacks such as myself. Once again it is easy for Johnny to go to mommy or daddy and ask them to pay for half of the tuition bill because he needs to drop his courses for medical purposes, unfortunately that is not my case.
[/quote]

umm zachary I find your tone a bit offensive.  As someone who didn't rush to mommy and daddy and ask them to pay for anything concerning my UG education, you might want to hold your horses.  The first thing I said was talk to your financial aid/college office.  Contrary to popular belief, most of them are not ogres trying to stick it to you, but rather would want to be supportive of their students--a week in they may have been able to refund your money.  You'll never know until you ASK.  And actually I would have said the same about your professors--if you talked to them, they might have been able to work with you (perhaps giving you extracredit assignments etc). 

zacharyl20

• Sr. Citizen
  • My dream SUV.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 26, 2005, 03:49:54 AM »
umm zachary I find your tone a bit offensive.  As someone who didn't rush to mommy and daddy and ask them to pay for anything concerning my UG education, you might want to hold your horses.  The first thing I said was talk to your financial aid/college office.  Contrary to popular belief, most of them are not ogres trying to stick it to you, but rather would want to be supportive of their students--a week in they may have been able to refund your money.  You'll never know until you ASK.  And actually I would have said the same about your professors--if you talked to them, they might have been able to work with you (perhaps giving you extracredit assignments etc). 
[/quote]

Agitator,I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that I did not ask my Professors for favors. Actually it was quite the contary. I asked many of my Professors if they would give me other assignments to compensate for any bad grades that I received in their course. None of them cared about my problems, all of my Professors were white so obviously they would not really want to help me out. I am sorry that you took offense to my previous post, that was not my objective. You must have misinterpret what I was trying to argue. I was simply given you a senario that I am not fortunate to have at my exposure at this time in my life. I never implied that you were "Johnny", it was simply an example. I am not sure if you went (or go) to a mostly white undergrad. But it is very rare to find Professors who care about their students. Trust me agitator any senario that you can think of I have probably tried it. I tried to talk to the Bursars office you think that they cared about my problems. I go to a money hungry private school, they are in the game for the money. However, I can not look back on the past. That 2.72 is on my record for the rest of my life and there is little I can about it at this point. I must look to the future and that is what I am doing at this point. Since we are typing (not talking) I understand that it is somewhat difficult for you to determine my tone, however, when someone is trying to be rude while typing they usually use all caps to demonstrate their frustration. I don't believe that was portrayed in any of my previous post. Relax I am asking for advice not trying to offend you.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 26, 2005, 10:51:36 AM »

Agitator,I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that I did not ask my Professors for favors. Actually it was quite the contary. I asked many of my Professors if they would give me other assignments to compensate for any bad grades that I received in their course. None of them cared about my problems, all of my Professors were white so obviously they would not really want to help me out. I am sorry that you took offense to my previous post, that was not my objective. You must have misinterpret what I was trying to argue. I was simply given you a senario that I am not fortunate to have at my exposure at this time in my life. I never implied that you were "Johnny", it was simply an example. I am not sure if you went (or go) to a mostly white undergrad. But it is very rare to find Professors who care about their students. Trust me agitator any senario that you can think of I have probably tried it. I tried to talk to the Bursars office you think that they cared about my problems. I go to a money hungry private school, they are in the game for the money. However, I can not look back on the past. That 2.72 is on my record for the rest of my life and there is little I can about it at this point. I must look to the future and that is what I am doing at this point. Since we are typing (not talking) I understand that it is somewhat difficult for you to determine my tone, however, when someone is trying to be rude while typing they usually use all caps to demonstrate their frustration. I don't believe that was portrayed in any of my previous post. Relax I am asking for advice not trying to offend you.
[/quote]

fair enough.  it is hard to discern tone on the net.  who are you getting to write you LORs?

New Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sunshines through my window
    • View Profile
Seriously depressed, need advice!!
« Reply #455 on: December 26, 2005, 01:30:19 PM »
So I got my LSAT score and I am seriously depressed. I screwed up the RC. I missed -13, never had that happen before ever!! I aced the LG, and both LRS.

I did not get the score I needed or hoped for and I have a bad GPA. What do I do now?

I can retake in Feb but I am working a fulltime job and taking 21 credit hours next semester, I won't have any time to really study.

I am soo depressed, I feel like a big dumb idiot, I really need some advice.

I have already applied to 10 schools and paid the app fee's. If I only get into low schools should I just go or should I retake in June and apply next year.
  I do not really want to reapply as I am old 26, and want to get into law school asap.

And what do I need to score to have a good shot at mid Tier-1's??

Stats- LSAT 157
         GPA  2.5
         URM

I need some good honest advice please!!
   Thanks,

Seriously depressed and sobbing

Go_Blue26

• View Profile
Re: Seriously depressed, need advice!!
« Reply #456 on: December 26, 2005, 01:33:27 PM »
I need help too!  3.9/159, excellent UG, lots of good soft factors.  I'm retaking in February.  Where do I have a shot with my current score?  Where might I have a shot if I score a 164 or 165 next time?  Thanks.  Much love. - Jon

FCTorino

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #457 on: December 26, 2005, 01:42:45 PM »
I think the best thing you could do now is to let your personal statement speak for itself.  I stronlgly suspect you studied hard..  Let them know you gave the test your all.  I bombed as well but am not going to spend another lifetime studying for the test.  I want to study Law and I will go whereever I am accepted. 

SWM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 26, 2005, 01:50:03 PM »
157 isn't all that bad - especially given your URM status.  Given your GPA, it won't get you into the T14; however, I'm pretty sure that some Tier 1 and almost all Tier 2 schools will give you a look.  Where did yo apply?  it might be time to consider adding some safeties to your list, or retaking the LSAT in February.  HTH.

Slow Blues

« Reply #459 on: December 26, 2005, 06:46:46 PM »
House & Go Blue:

While I agree w/SWM that you're probably not going to get into the Top 15 schools (well, Go Blue, with that 3.9 GPA, I would try for a few highly ranked schools, especially Berkeley, but I think schools in the 15-30 range are a good fit) you're looking good for quite a few Tier 1 schools, if not most Tier 1s. I would still try for a few reaches, since you never know, but your situation isn't nearly as dire as you make it out to be. Use LSAC's calculator to find some good schools; a good benchmark is that you're at their 25th, it's worth a shot.

A retake would be in order, like Lionking said, if you did a LOT worse than you practiced (i.e. if you were practicing at 160-162 then don't bother; if you were practicing at 170, then you should think about retaking). But with no spare time to re-up for the february LSAT, it's probably better that you work with the 157.

Hope I've helped and good luck to both of you.