Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 425682 times)

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: Apply this year, or wait til next cycle?
« Reply #410 on: December 08, 2005, 12:38:46 AM »
I agree with daveman, with those stats you shouldn't have a problem, esp. if you're in by Jan.
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

maxambit

« Reply #411 on: December 08, 2005, 12:24:07 PM »
You may want to check out the LSAC Official Guide to ABA Approved Law Schools. They're allowing free access at the moment. You might find answers to some of your questions about money there.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/docs/cgi-bin/home.asp

lex19

« Reply #412 on: December 09, 2005, 07:09:14 AM »
make it happen JD, but like others said get your apps in asap and good luck

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 09, 2005, 07:34:27 PM »
Echoing the advice of others: Apply.  Apply to the entire t14, or at least the top 7 or 8.

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 09, 2005, 08:11:00 PM »
That's tough, only because you've already been out for a couple of years.

If you were still in school, I'd definitely tell you to wait a year.  With your credentials, if you scored 165+, you'd not only get in pretty much every top school, you would be paid in the shade. 

But you're probably ready to go now.  The question is, how far along are you?  You have any applications started?  Anything done on your Personal Statement?  Other essays?  How about LORs?  Have you sent transcripts to LSAC?  The applications can actually be done very quickly, but the essays and anything involving LSAC takes longer than you would expect.

BTW, could you share some of your GPA points?  I'm sure you could spare .25, right?

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 09, 2005, 08:19:31 PM »
In fact, if you give me .46, I'll do your apps, write your PS and do an LOR, then we can BOTH go to NYU (or equivalent) for free.  :D

JamesD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 09, 2005, 09:39:07 PM »
I'm waiting on 1 more LOR, and my personal statement is already finished.  My transcripts haven't been sent yet, because I'm still repaying my debt to the bursar's office at my old school.  Just being honest, I was really broke during college, and got a bit behind on my bursar bill.  I've been on a payment plan since.  It's coming down to the wire now, because I really need my transcripts released (there's a hold on my account at present).  It's all good though, because I've bene working like mad lately, exceeding quotas, and getting bonuses.  I'm going to make a 2k payment on December 20th, and my account will be cleared.  After that, they can release my transcripts.

So basically, I'm thinking that my applications will all be in and complete by mid-January.  I hope that's not too late.

The one school I have to rush for is Duke--- that one is due January 1st, so it'll be a close call.

I hope schools don't simply stop giving out merit money as their deadline approcahes.  I was just never aware that applications needed to be submitted so early.

Thanks everyone.  All your advice is much appreciated.

lex19

« Reply #417 on: December 10, 2005, 02:19:47 AM »
at top schools there's always money no matter what they say

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 10, 2005, 02:40:16 AM »
where are you trying to apply? some schools don't even start to review apps until jan. uw, l&c, and i think seattle wait until jan. keep in mind that threre are people who don't apply until feb and still get in. the deadlines for most schools are in march for a reason. if you have the numbers, schools will find the room. i'm sure your app will get mine waitlisted at a lot of schools.  :D
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

Nowhere Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • You know who is a Blackstar? Who? Me!
    • View Profile
WHAT ARE MY CHANCES?
« Reply #419 on: December 10, 2005, 04:30:26 PM »
I have a 2.1 GPA in Management Info Systems. Im takin the LSAT in Feb. for the first time.  I am just trying to get into FAMU in Orlando. Im currently taking a LSAT prep course. In fact, come January, it will be my third time so I can grasp this test. Ive been really studying.

What do you think I have to score to be competitive?

Or do I even stand a chance.
But when you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out, in!