Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 421576 times)

New Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sunshines through my window
    • View Profile
Re: Help a brother out with some advice please!!
« Reply #400 on: December 04, 2005, 06:36:02 PM »
what score am I looking at to get into to somewhere like Duke, Michigan or Iowa?

lawstudent3

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 04, 2005, 06:37:15 PM »
With a 2.5 or 2.8 and being URM, that's a lot of variables.  I honestly don't know, but I'd think mid-160s at the least.

Slow Blues

« Reply #402 on: December 04, 2005, 06:56:24 PM »
what score am I looking at to get into to somewhere like Duke, Michigan or Iowa?

I'd say high 160s, if not a 170 flat for Michigan and Duke. Maybe mid 160 range for Iowa. Even then it's no guarantee.

windowshopper

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 04, 2005, 08:04:15 PM »
I'll let you know how it works out for me [2.5/161/URM].  ??? But I would agree that you need probably somewhere in the 165+ range. 

New Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sunshines through my window
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 04, 2005, 08:37:56 PM »
Good luck, I hope you do well. I have spoken to family members and I will be trying my chances this cycle as well. Good luck to the both if us!!

windowshopper

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: December 05, 2005, 06:41:15 PM »
thanks!!  I think the best way to go is casting a wide net.  Did you just test on Saturday?

ReformedSlacker(HFG)

• View Profile
    • Email
What Law Schools to Apply To??
« Reply #406 on: December 06, 2005, 01:41:13 AM »
GPA 1.98 (40 hour PW Job)(And a number of other things)
LSAT 149

Were can i apply to besides Cooley?

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 06, 2005, 05:14:54 AM »
If I wait for the 2.8 I will have to postpone my applications until next year. is that increase worth waiting to send my apps in for? Will it make my file look any better because I will still be under a 3.0.

have you taken the lsat yet? it sounds like you are applying this cycle, or at least hoping to. i say go with the numbers you have. if you don't get into one of your reaches, consider going to schools you do get into.

if you just can't see yourself going to a school ranked lower than 14, then just resign your self to putting school off a year. a 3.0/160 seems to be the magic combo. from there, every incremental increase does wonders. 

first things first though. get your lsat score and then make up your mind. i bet a 170/2.5 will get into some pretty good schools.
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

lawstudent3

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Apply this year, or wait til next cycle?
« Reply #409 on: December 07, 2005, 11:58:46 PM »
You will get close to full rides to any school outside the top 14, and probably significant money even from those within.  If you have your apps out in January you will be just fine.  Believe me, they want you. :)