Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 415280 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: 3.65 ,158, 10 years work experience (weak undergrad college)
« Reply #390 on: November 27, 2005, 01:22:28 PM »
You have a shot.  Pick your favorite schools out of the 8-25 range.

New Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sunshines through my window
    • View Profile
Help a brother out with some advice please!!
« Reply #391 on: December 04, 2005, 03:25:19 PM »
My GPA sucks and I know it does. It is currently a 2.5, I have worked out that I could have it at a 2.8 if I graduate on time in May,  and a 3.0 if I go another semester and this is if I get all A's. I have a hard major, molecular biology and am not confident that I will get all A's.

Will it make that much of a difference to the Adcomm's if I have a 2.5 or a 2.8? They are both below 3.0.

I know people say 3.0 is the magic spot to even be considered but not only would I have to postpone law school I would also have to postpone graduation. I am also 25 and really don't want to have to do that.

Or is it it in my best interests to wait?

so question number 1, if I still graduate in May, and I have a 2.8, is that looked on any more favourably than a 2.5?

And Should I postpone my graduation to try and make it to a 3.0?

Or should I just go with what I have?

The thing is I can't wait to see where I get in because my school needs to know now if I am going to graduate next semester or not!!

lawstudent3

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Help a brother out with some advice please!!
« Reply #392 on: December 04, 2005, 03:26:23 PM »
I think it's worth it to bring it up to a 2.8, but probably not the 3.0 as you'd have to stay extra long and it would be unlikely anyway.

mrrogers

• It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #393 on: December 04, 2005, 03:29:54 PM »
I think it's worth it to bring it up to a 2.8, but probably not the 3.0 as you'd have to stay extra long and it would be unlikely anyway.

I agree with daveman.  You should always do your best, but we can't bend our lives for a law school acceptance. 

New Man

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 04, 2005, 03:31:42 PM »
If I wait for the 2.8 I will have to postpone my applications until next year. is that increase worth waiting to send my apps in for? Will it make my file look any better because I will still be under a 3.0.

lawstudent3

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 04, 2005, 03:33:45 PM »
I think a 2.8 is significantly better, especially because there would be an upward trend.  It's at least close to a 3.0.  A 2.5 is not even close and might be hard for an adcom to swallow.  I think it's worth it.

mrrogers

• It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #396 on: December 04, 2005, 03:33:53 PM »
I don't think it is worth the wait.  You have a difficult major and also the minority status will help you out a bit (I assume you are black because of where this was posted and the thread title, if you aren't I apologize). 

Don't worry about the small difference. 

New Man

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 04, 2005, 03:38:51 PM »
Yes, I am black. I guess I will see what happens. Maybe I will see if they can extend my graduation date if I want to stay an extra semester.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 04, 2005, 04:25:14 PM »
GPA is very important so I would say go for the 3.0+ by taking "easy classes" if you don't think you'll get it by taking molecular biology.  you'll be in a much better position for law school

windowshopper

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 04, 2005, 05:17:04 PM »
Across the board, the LSAT counts a LOT more than GPA so you would probably be best served by studying your a$$ off and doing really well on it.