Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 429457 times)

Dotson

Re: How's my lsit
« Reply #370 on: November 26, 2005, 12:22:41 PM »
You could probably wait until the end of the year, see where you're in, and send out additional apps accordingly.

Alci, :o at your avatar! You are too much!

Dotson, I pretty much agree with Alcibiades' assessment. The 3.1 is not cute, but the 171 is a good mitigating factor in your admissions chances at these schools.  I can't remember how long you worked in politics, but I do know a lot of people at top schools have worked in politics, even nationally like yourself.

the GPA puts me in a tough spot.  I figured the split scores would at least get me into the maybe piles.  My recommendation letters are solid and I am pretty much banking on the fact that I am not coming straight out of school and have consistent work experience concerning the field I intend to pursue in  law school from my job on the hill and my current job.  I also wrote an addendum because I worked during school and my pops lost my his job during my junior year so the hours had to get bumped up.  I hope that will be enough to get some of those schools to say yes.  Guess I will know in about 2 months. 

stiffler

« Reply #371 on: November 26, 2005, 12:41:00 PM »
you might be able to explain the gpa somewhat.  i know a kid who had a 2.8 something but got a 173 and got into columbia and chicago as a nonurm.  they said the lsat and the addendum proved his potential as a much better than 2.8 student.

partyguy708

• View Profile
3.65 ,158, 10 years work experience (weak undergrad college)
« Reply #372 on: November 26, 2005, 12:44:49 PM »
Can someone give me an idea whether I have a chance at t14?  Thanks!

stiffler

Re: 3.65 ,158, 10 years work experience (weak undergrad college)
« Reply #373 on: November 26, 2005, 12:46:37 PM »
no chance at t14 dude.  apply to tier ones though and party some more.

partyguy708

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 26, 2005, 12:56:36 PM »
Thanks for the input.

stiffler

« Reply #375 on: November 26, 2005, 01:02:16 PM »
dont mean to be too harsh.  you may have excellent soft factors, but the scores arent in your favor anyway.  maybe if you have great soft factors, urm status and everything you could get in somewhere.  actually maybe northwestern will like you anyway if your work experience is really interestings.

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 26, 2005, 01:29:40 PM »
A friend IRL with similar numbers and experience was able to get into UC-Davis last year. HTH

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 26, 2005, 01:48:02 PM »
You could probably wait until the end of the year, see where you're in, and send out additional apps accordingly.

Alci, :o at your avatar! You are too much!

Lol.  Believe it or not, I actually like bluebooking (my own stuff...not so big on sourceciting).

I like sourceciting. It is very communal.

Dotson, your addendum sounds good, esp. if there was a noticeable dip in grades when you had to take on more work.  Please keep us posted as to how everything goes.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 26, 2005, 04:20:07 PM »
Can someone give me an idea whether I have a chance at t14?  Thanks!

how weak?

partyguy708

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 26, 2005, 04:35:33 PM »
Pretty weak, I know I can get into somewhere decent, but I am just going to apply to the top schools who have given me fee waivers(NW, Chicago, Penn, Cornell ND and Vanderbilt) worth the 12 bucks to find out don't you think? I have a ton of backups who have waived their fees as well.  Just thought I would try and reach.