Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 415172 times)

John Galt

Re: 3.32, 158. Can I get into T14?
« Reply #200 on: October 15, 2005, 01:33:09 AM »
Telling the kid to apply to boalt would be a waste of his money unless his parents were non-college educated black eskimos living on 10 grand a year.

Eskimos is outdated ans slightly offensive. Inuit is the prefered designation.

I don't believe in PC designations. Thanks for the heads up though.

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 3.32, 158. Can I get into T14?
« Reply #201 on: October 16, 2005, 10:44:47 AM »
FYI, I think a 158 is good for a T14.  All I have is anecdotal evidence, but it indicates that 160+ is unnecessary provided you have a good backstory.  That said, the sub-160s I know had higher GPAs (but not 3.8s or 3.9s; more in the 3.6-3.7 range.)

doris72

• View Profile
What do you think?
« Reply #202 on: October 21, 2005, 10:54:32 PM »
Hey all-

I am a long time reader - first time poster - and I just received my Oct LSAT score earlier this evening - I got a 161 and I graduated from Princeton Univ. with a 3.3.
I know that I have an amazing PS - and great Recs
I have been working for a year + at a NYC law firm and I have had a lot of interesting work experience over the years while at school.
My gpa is low - but I really have no excuse -  I just never really got full swing of the work load - and I don't doubt my abilities to succeed at all - anyway based on your experiences - what do you think my chances are at getting into a t14 law school. I plan to send in my apps by mid next week at the latest.

Thanks in advance for the advice

shamarmoore

• View Profile
    • Email
2.5 and 170 - Any Tier One's?
« Reply #203 on: October 22, 2005, 12:05:13 PM »
I am an African-American Male, low gpa from a big state school, not well-regarded, worked 40 hours per week and have an upward trend. I just got my score, and I did well.
 2.5 gpa and 170 LSAT.

Can I get into any T14's??
 Can I get into any Tier 1 schools?

If so which ones should I target.

Thanks alot!!!

chrisfield

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5 and 170 - Any Tier One's?
« Reply #204 on: October 22, 2005, 12:08:29 PM »
You would be very competetive at Tier 1's.  Less likely at T14's but not impossible.

lex19

« Reply #205 on: October 22, 2005, 12:47:05 PM »
def include an addendum with your apps to explain your work situation in school and the upward grade trend, good luck

shamarmoore

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #206 on: October 22, 2005, 12:58:43 PM »
def include an addendum with your apps to explain your work situation in school and the upward grade trend, good luck

Thanks, I am definetly going to do that, I was working 40-60 hours a week freshmen and sophomore year and then I went down to 25-25 hours and my gpa went up significantly, so hopefully somewhere will like me.

lex19

« Reply #207 on: October 22, 2005, 01:03:01 PM »
they will, especially if you can show...a poster last year got into northwestern with a 2.6 and a 171 or something like that (avg from two tests) but he also had tons of work experience, regardless i think your lsat score will and an explanation will put you into the running with T14's maybe not hys but def the rest

Thanks, I am definetly going to do that, I was working 40-60 hours a week freshmen and sophomore year and then I went down to 25-25 hours and my gpa went up significantly, so hopefully somewhere will like me.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 22, 2005, 01:54:43 PM »
I am an African-American Male, low gpa from a big state school, not well-regarded, worked 40 hours per week and have an upward trend. I just got my score, and I did well.
 2.5 gpa and 170 LSAT.

Can I get into any T14's??
 Can I get into any Tier 1 schools?

If so which ones should I target.

Thanks alot!!!

Try Duke, Northwestern, Cornell, Emory, Washington University.  are you coming straight through?

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think?
« Reply #209 on: October 22, 2005, 01:59:39 PM »
Hey all-

I am a long time reader - first time poster - and I just received my Oct LSAT score earlier this evening - I got a 161 and I graduated from Princeton Univ. with a 3.3.
I know that I have an amazing PS - and great Recs
I have been working for a year + at a NYC law firm and I have had a lot of interesting work experience over the years while at school.
My gpa is low - but I really have no excuse -  I just never really got full swing of the work load - and I don't doubt my abilities to succeed at all - anyway based on your experiences - what do you think my chances are at getting into a t14 law school. I plan to send in my apps by mid next week at the latest.

Thanks in advance for the advice

shoot out applications to U Penn, Michigan, Virginia (especially if you are a resident of the latter two) you never know you might get lucky; if your statements etc are as excellent as you say then I wouldn't be surprised if you got into Georgetown, Cornell, Duke.  I would say save your money and don't apply to HYSCCN.