Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 428826 times)

datbol_06

• View Profile
Re: black BBA student....what are my chances?
« Reply #150 on: August 07, 2005, 05:26:50 PM »
I am not sure if it matters at all but also my father is a Wharton alumni.  He graduated from the science/business program some 15 years ago.  I have heard of the legacy thing but am not sure if at all I could leverage that to my advantage.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 07, 2005, 05:33:08 PM »
Your father being a Wharton alum won't matter for law school admissions.  Perhaps for b-school, but I don't know much about that.

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 07, 2005, 08:25:18 PM »
Listen to "Bob." (;))  He knows what's he's talking about.

I will add that I probably wouldn't app to Y with a 3.1-3.2 unless you get 168 or above.  Of course you never know what could happen, but unless you have $70 you don't mind dropping on a dream or there's something absolutely, indescribably amazing in your background that you haven't shared, I wouldn't spend the time writing the 250. 

I'm not trying to be discouraging.  I think that with great packaging, a strong, non-whiny addendum on the GPA, and an LSAT of 165+, you have a shot at H and S and certainly Penn.  Even with something slightly lower than 165 you may have a chance with Penn.  Make sure you either get your app in very early or write the add'l essays: Penn had a bizarre admissions cycle this past year and there's really no telling what will happen this time around, esp. if their early app numbers are up again. Maybe you should apply to Penn Early Action so they know you're serious about them.

Why Penn, other than the fact that it's in the fam?  I'm curious, and answering this question will also give you a jumpstart on one of their optionals. ;)

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 07, 2005, 08:38:25 PM »
Listen to "Bob." (;))  He knows what's he's talking about.

I will add that I probably wouldn't app to Y with a 3.1-3.2 unless you get 168 or above.  Of course you never know what could happen, but unless you have $70 you don't mind dropping on a dream or there's something absolutely, indescribably amazing in your background that you haven't shared, I wouldn't spend the time writing the 250. 

I'm not trying to be discouraging.  I think that with great packaging, a strong, non-whiny addendum on the GPA, and an LSAT of 165+, you have a shot at H and S and certainly Penn.  Even with something slightly lower than 165 you may have a chance with Penn.  Make sure you either get your app in very early or write the add'l essays: Penn had a bizarre admissions cycle this past year and there's really no telling what will happen this time around, esp. if their early app numbers are up again. Maybe you should apply to Penn Early Action so they know you're serious about them.

Why Penn, other than the fact that it's in the fam?  I'm curious, and answering this question will also give you a jumpstart on one of their optionals. ;)

Ditto to "Immobell." While I agree with Bob that stranger things have happened, a 3.1 is VERY low for HYS--if you can bump it up to a 3.3 with a strong LSAT you might have a shot at HS but it is very doubtful.  I think you'd stand a good chance at Penn--if you express interest in the joint certificate or MBA with Wharton I think you could get a slight bump considering the family connection--if your father hasn't already he may want to send a check to his alma mater.

And also I would say don't write about the forced curve in an addendum but instead have one of your recommenders explain the curve otherwise it looks like you are whining.  Besides 15% getting an A doesn't seem too strict to me; for the top schools you are competing with people who have kicked ass in their programs.     

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 07, 2005, 10:27:07 PM »
Now that I think about it, ditto 'Tator's point on the whiny-sounding quality of the addendum curve.  If you don't want to rely on a recommender to take care of it, you can certainly do the addendum and make sure it sounds more like an "FYI" than a "cry me a river" - but ideally you could avoid any chance of sounding like a whiner by letting someone else explain the gpa away.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 07, 2005, 11:55:27 PM »
I agree that the addendum should not be whiny; however, it might be useful simply to point out that the b-school is on a different grading system from the rest of the university and that that should be taken into account when comparing his/her gpa to that of other Emory students.

jakked188

Admissions chances?
« Reply #156 on: August 12, 2005, 08:53:38 PM »
p

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Admissions chances?
« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2005, 10:39:49 PM »
The 2.6 will limit your t14 options.  I say apply to as many schools as you can in the 10-25 range.  You might get lucky.

jerrica benton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
what kind of lsat do i need to be competitive?
« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2005, 08:28:36 PM »
i have a 3.1 gpa at a tier-2 undergrad.  i also have an upward trend and a sob story to tell, but i doubt the admissions people care.

as a black female, what lsat score do i need to have a good chance of admission to a t14 law school? 

how about the top 5?

any comments from anybody who knows someone who got admitted to a great law school with my gpa would be very appreciated.

thx

Equalizer

Re: what kind of lsat do i need to be competitive?
« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2005, 08:36:47 PM »
i have a 3.1 gpa at a tier-2 undergrad.  i also have an upward trend and a sob story to tell, but i doubt the admissions people care.

as a black female, what lsat score do i need to have a good chance of admission to a t14 law school? 

how about the top 5?

any comments from anybody who knows someone who got admitted to a great law school with my gpa would be very appreciated.

thx

What makes you think any score will give you a chance at the top 5?  Because you're a black female?