Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 424027 times)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #2420 on: October 16, 2007, 07:18:27 PM »
My turn...

3.41/158 (Sept 06--retaking in Dec)

1.  I'm definitely trying to figure out how I should proceed with the cycle this year.  Where should I apply early, with my current lsat, and where should I hold off applying in hopes of scoring higher (currently testing at 163-168).  I think I can go higher if I can get my LR under control.

2.  I have an idea about which t14 schools I could get into with a 165+ lsat, but what are my t20 changes given my current lsat?

More about me: gay black male (double-urm??), top undergrad (top 15), 2 bachelor's degrees (not a double major, but two degrees/diplomas--a BA in psych and a BM in music performance)-->Overextended me during undergrad, a year studying abroad in London and working at Harrods, currently work in the transactional department of a mid-size (100+) firm.  Additionally, as far as my PS is concerned, I have some interesting ideas about where and why I see myself in the legal field.

d*

Someone with almost the exact stats you have (he was a 3.41/159 with WE) who got into UCLA with money and ended up attending Northwestern. I don't remember the rest of his decisions, but I do recall Northwestern being the highest ranked school that he got into. If not Northwestern, then Michigan. To be fair, he also had an excellent personal statement. Based on this example as well as some of the numbers I've been obsessively looking over on LSN, you should be good outside of the T14 and competitive in the 8-14 rank. I'll defer to one of the old heads on the board though. Best of luck to you!

funny, i know exactly who you are talking about...and yup, NU was the highest ranked school he got into.  and his personal statement WAS excellent.

i think you should apply to the t20....you will get money at WUSTL and possibly Vandy. you prolly have a chance at the t8-14
Columbia 3L

prettypithy

• View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: October 19, 2007, 10:19:38 AM »
Thanks to advice from people on this board, I've been prepping like a mad woman for the LSAT and the results are very promising. I'm now hitting low 160's. I have reason to believe I might be able to hit 170's before this is all over, since I hit about 3-6 wrong per section in LR and RC. In Logic Games, I'm off by double digits but I'm working with the Powerscore bible and seeing improvements. My question is this--if I'm able to hit 170+, with my 3.0 from UCLA (upward trend, one bad year as an underclassman), do I have a shot at the T10? I've seen people (non-URM and URM) in at places like Northwestern with these kinds of splitting numbers, so I think I might hit T14, but I'm specifically curious as to whether my GPA precludes me from entry to T10 or if the right LSAT, like money, talks.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: October 19, 2007, 10:22:25 AM »
Thanks to advice from people on this board, I've been prepping like a mad woman for the LSAT and the results are very promising. I'm now hitting low 160's. I have reason to believe I might be able to hit 170's before this is all over, since I hit about 3-6 wrong per section in LR and RC. In Logic Games, I'm off by double digits but I'm working with the Powerscore bible and seeing improvements. My question is this--if I'm able to hit 170+, with my 3.0 from UCLA (upward trend, one bad year as an underclassman), do I have a shot at the T10? I've seen people (non-URM and URM) in at places like Northwestern with these kinds of splitting numbers, so I think I might hit T14, but I'm specifically curious as to whether my GPA precludes me from entry to T10 or if the right LSAT, like money, talks.

I think an LSAT score of 170+ will open untold doors for an URM (even within the T10), despite a 3.0 GPA.  Sure, there are certain schools that will give more weight to the GPA than others (and you won't necessarily get into every T10 you apply to), but a highly competitive LSAT would be a strongly countervailing factor in your case, imo.
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: October 19, 2007, 10:26:16 AM »
My question is this--if I'm able to hit 170+, with my 3.0 from UCLA (upward trend, one bad year as an underclassman), do I have a shot at the T10?

Yes.

indiana_student

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2424 on: October 19, 2007, 06:29:36 PM »
I am a long time lurker but a first time poster.  I just got my LSAT back and was wondering if anyone could tell me which schools I should target (I am trying to get into the best law school possible, but don't have the money to apply to 50 of them).

Big 10 University for undergrad
Finance, Accounting
3.54 GPA (has been 3.92 the last five semesters)
LSAT:  159

Outside of being black I don't have many soft factors (I do come from a very poor family and neither parent graduated high school).  Any help would be appreciated.

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: October 19, 2007, 06:56:59 PM »
I am a long time lurker but a first time poster.  I just got my LSAT back and was wondering if anyone could tell me which schools I should target (I am trying to get into the best law school possible, but don't have the money to apply to 50 of them).

Big 10 University for undergrad
Finance, Accounting
3.54 GPA (has been 3.92 the last five semesters)
LSAT:  159

Outside of being black I don't have many soft factors (I do come from a very poor family and neither parent graduated high school).  Any help would be appreciated.

talk about socio economics and being the first to grad high school and college.  write strong essays.  you will get into the top 20, and prolly a couple of lower t14s with a chance at CCN.
Columbia 3L

PDSdreamer

• View Profile
Do I even have a chance?
« Reply #2426 on: October 19, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
I'm a black male with a 3.1 GPA and a 151 LSAT score. I have 2 years of experience working in a law firm, a summer as an intern investigator with the DC Public Defender Service, my grades have been on an upward swing, i'm president of my frat and tutoring organization with letters of rec from a judge and jd/phd. my dream schools are UC Hastings and Loyola. i just want to go to a school with a great criminal defense program and maybe some entertainment law classes would be great too. i just got my LSAT score today and im beyond depressed. I thought i could at least crack a 160. i just finished crossing off half the schools i was looking at now.

be honest and please tell me if its even worth it for me to bother applying to law school

Cutwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: October 19, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
deleted

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: October 19, 2007, 08:31:16 PM »
Black male, not many other soft factors
3.3ish (projected)
177 LSAT (9/07)

What are my chances in the t14, and more specifically, the top 5?

Thanks

you are in at CCN, with a good chance at HS...congrats.  write good essays.
Columbia 3L

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: October 19, 2007, 10:18:26 PM »
OK -
LSAT = 156 in June, 157 in September - both in 2007
LSDAS GPA = 3.59
History/Philosophy major
African American
6 years in the Marines
3 years of work experience
STRONG LoRs
Great resume
Great Personal statement about combat time overseas and my experiences with hurricane Katrina
I am 24 years old.

Can I get into a good law school. My LSAT score has really caused me to lose motivation.

Yeah...you'll get into a great law school.

Hit up Georgetown, Northwestern, Cornell and Duke in the t14 for sure. Your soft factors might put you over the top there.

Pretty sure you'll get into Vandy, Emory, etc...great regional schools like that.

So if I was a betting man, I'd say you'll have multiple offers from the T14 (haven't been wrong yet!) and definitely somewhere in the 15-30 area imo.

See UVASweater or something like that. Had a 157 (forget the GPA) and is at UVA right now.

Then, I'd look into Emory, Vandy,
YLS c/o 2009