Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 428885 times)

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #2400 on: October 06, 2007, 07:25:37 PM »
Thanks alot everyone for the advice. So I take it alot of you guys studied on your own as opposed to taking classes? Also, when do you guys think is a good time to take the LSAT raw, just as an indicator?

I would take a preptest under "real" conditions before I even start studying as your baseline.  That way, you know where you are and will be able to track your improvement.

Agreed.  Take a test as a diagnostic and that will tell u where your strengths and weaknesses are.  I believe that's how most of the LSAT classes start.   

That reminds me of something else.  Always make time to review your tests.  When I was going through, I would mark all of the questions that I wasn't sure of or completely guessed, and then would review them afterwards.  That way, I was reviewing the ones I got wrong as well as the ones I got right but didn't know why.

This is by far...BY FAR BY FAR...whether you are taking a course or self prepping, the most important advice on taking the LSAT.
YLS c/o 2009

Engage

• View Profile
Chances? 2.75 LSAC GPA 160 LSAT
« Reply #2401 on: October 09, 2007, 08:33:17 AM »
Hello all,

Wanted to see what you guys thought of my chances with a 2.75 LSAC GPA and 160 LSAT. I'm very interested in money and have gotten a flury of application fee waivers. But I think the abysmal gpa kills me for admission and money in my top choices. Applying in the SE from DC to Miami.

Any thought?

Thanks!

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: October 09, 2007, 09:11:27 AM »
It has been a while since I have posted but I am back to ask a question about the early decision process. I applied to a few schools previously where I was waitlisted and I would like to apply to those schools again. Would applying early decision to either place make any difference in my chances of being accepted? I have more pluses to add to my application but my numbers are the same. I'm ready to go with a new PS, LORs, etc. so I would be applying about a month earlier than the last cycle. Thanks!

Yep, applying early increases your chances.  I think it's a great idea for you to apply to those places early.  :)

Thanks for your response cui bono. I am really worried about reapplying. My LSAT isn't any higher and my gpa went up marginally. I now have work experience and a few more academic honors since applying. I am also writing a new personal statement. Will this make a difference at all at schools that rejected me? waitlisted? deferred then rejected? Thanks guys

no prob.   :) if u dont mind sharing, what are those academic honors? The main thing that will help u if the "hard" factors have not changed much is applying early.  The PS will help if you base it on some unique adversity/circumstance that you've faced in your life. I think it would help moreso at the schools where you were waitlisted. But the more important thing now is to apply early-  sorry if that sounds like a broken record, I just really want you give that favor to yourself.   
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

ClaudiaM85

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2403 on: October 10, 2007, 03:45:37 PM »
Hey, I NEED HELP EVERYONE!

I accidentally included the wrong name of a school on the HEADER of my personal statement and resume which i sent through LSAC. I applied to UMD and UofI and accidentally kept UC-Berkeley on the top of my personal statement and resume. Should I call to correct?  I am freaking out since UMD is a school I really want to impress.

-cma

Law school is overrated

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: October 10, 2007, 07:55:28 PM »
Call and try to substitute, but the damage is done.

INVICTUS1

• View Profile
    • Email
Help for a recent graduate
« Reply #2405 on: October 10, 2007, 09:54:39 PM »
First off I would like to say this board is very informative and it links up great thinking minds. I have spent many months browsing this board and so I am her today to finally break my silence. Of Course I have a question.

I am a recent graduate of Jackson State University (Political Science) I am very interested in law school but my undergrad grades are low due to me working a full-time job through college and not having my priorities straight. My plan is to enroll in a Master's of Public Administration program and graduate in two years. Hopefully, I can demonstrate a great academic showing in my graduate studies. During the course of my grad studies I will study to take the LSAT (Kaplan). I was informed by a buddy of mine to pad up my public service during this time. Is there a realistic possibility of me getting into Law School. I want to attend Texas Wesleyan or Mississippi College. Two years is not a long time so I am willing to take any advice can possibly get and implement them into my game plan.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: October 10, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »

I accidentally included the wrong name of a school on the HEADER of my personal statement and resume which i sent through LSAC. I applied to UMD and UofI and accidentally kept UC-Berkeley on the top of my personal statement and resume. Should I call to correct?  I am freaking out since UMD is a school I really want to impress.

-cma

you're done at those schools. Sorry.
YLS c/o 2009

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: October 10, 2007, 10:36:36 PM »

-cma

Sad, but probably true.
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: October 10, 2007, 11:43:39 PM »
Unfortunately, that's probably a ding unless everything else is extremely, extremely impressive.  Schools HATE this.  They want you to write a different statement for their school and because you left another schools name at the top, they know that you are sending the same statement everywhere else.

It is SOOOOOOOOOO important to read over your admission documents before you turn them in.  If you have another friend applying to law school too, you can swap.  That way you avoid those types of errors.

-cma

Sad, but probably true.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

playaj

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jonb8305
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help for a recent graduate
« Reply #2409 on: October 11, 2007, 02:44:29 AM »
First off I would like to say this board is very informative and it links up great thinking minds. I have spent many months browsing this board and so I am her today to finally break my silence. Of Course I have a question.

I am a recent graduate of Jackson State University (Political Science) I am very interested in law school but my undergrad grades are low due to me working a full-time job through college and not having my priorities straight. My plan is to enroll in a Master's of Public Administration program and graduate in two years. Hopefully, I can demonstrate a great academic showing in my graduate studies. During the course of my grad studies I will study to take the LSAT (Kaplan). I was informed by a buddy of mine to pad up my public service during this time. Is there a realistic possibility of me getting into Law School. I want to attend Texas Wesleyan or Mississippi College. Two years is not a long time so I am willing to take any advice can possibly get and implement them into my game plan.

Law schools only look at undergrad grades. they won't even consider your grad school grades. You'd be better served studying for the lsat for 6 months and trying to crack 170 so you can be a splitter. That should give you a good shot at a Tier 1.
If *&^% was worth something, Poor people would be born with no assholes.