Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 415352 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread
« Reply #1360 on: October 21, 2006, 12:14:59 PM »
apply to Yale. We need more good basketball players here. I want you on my team.

We have a "team"?

we play every other day.  We're trying to get an intermural team for the season that starts in January.

Interesting.  Have fun with that.  Annabel heading up the cheerleading squad?  :D

darksoldier99

• View Profile
    • Email
SOMEBODY HELP!
« Reply #1361 on: October 21, 2006, 12:20:40 PM »
Ok maybe this is not the medium for this, if its not, please direct me to the right spot. I'm an URM, black to be precise, 3.6gpa but got my lsat score last night, it was 148. I contemplated hitting my head on a rock for hours till I passed out. I was sooooo dissapointed. I registered for the december lsat but was gonna apply regardless to some schools. Where do i have a shot? Somebody talk 2 me!!!!

looktwice

• View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: October 21, 2006, 12:21:15 PM »
not to beat a dead horse, but you guys pretty much think low T14? What about LA schools? That's where I want to live/practice. How do I market my basketball background without coming off like a complete jock?

John Galt

« Reply #1363 on: October 21, 2006, 12:23:44 PM »
Unfortunately, California schools are probably out of the question.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: October 21, 2006, 12:24:25 PM »
Not UCLA and USC, don't you think?

John Galt

« Reply #1365 on: October 21, 2006, 12:28:41 PM »
I think your pro-basketball experience might help. It shows you know how to use teamwork at a high level to get complicated tasks accomplished. It shows leadership and an ability to stick to a plan and execute. So those are all things law schools like. I think the LSAT is a bit low and the GPA a bit low. You might be able to still get in considering your complete profile.

EDIT: Sorry, bivens, I was responding as if you were the person asking for advice. Yeah I think UCLA and USC are at least good shots. I was mainly speaking of the t14 schools...sorry.

looktwice

• View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: October 21, 2006, 12:32:00 PM »
so maybe i'll just put out a bunch of apps. see what happens. if no school i want wants me, maybe I wait a year, study like a maniac for the LSAT, and put my apps in again, extra early next time around. what do you think?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: October 21, 2006, 12:33:45 PM »

I think your pro-basketball experience might help. It shows you know how to use teamwork at a high level to get complicated tasks accomplished. It shows leadership and an ability to stick to a plan and execute. So those are all things law schools like. I think the LSAT is a bit low and the GPA a bit low. You might be able to still get in considering your complete profile.

Just be sure to show, rather than say, those things in your PS.  Poignant stories are always good.

so maybe i'll just put out a bunch of apps. see what happens. if no school i want wants me, maybe I wait a year, study like a maniac for the LSAT, and put my apps in again, extra early next time around. what do you think?

Sounds good, especially if you're in no hurry to start law school.

looktwice

• View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: October 21, 2006, 12:38:43 PM »
well, i'm not a spring chicken and i'm not getting any younger, but if there's a chance to go to a really great school, i guess i would wait. do schools that have rejected you frown on reapplying?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: October 21, 2006, 12:39:29 PM »
Nope.