Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 415519 times)

justGem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
Re: 2.8/ 166 where should i apply...
« Reply #790 on: July 05, 2006, 09:33:59 AM »
You should apply to whatever schools you feels would be a good match but if there is a restraint on the number of apps you can pay for I would add more safeties and delete a few far reaches.  Also, don't forget that you will likely recieve some fee waivers.

lakers4life

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #791 on: July 05, 2006, 01:46:36 PM »
opps i meant howard as a safety not harvard. 

redemption

« Reply #792 on: July 05, 2006, 02:12:33 PM »
WUSL & Minnesota are good schools that are forgiving wrt to low GPAs. 166 is the bright line for both of them.

Also -- AU should be a safety for you.

This is how I'd pick it:

Reaches:
Harvard
Cornell
Georgetown
Michigan
UVA
Duke

Mid-range:
Minnesota
WUSL
Fordham
GW

Safety:
American
Cardozo
Miami
Temple

thorc954

« Reply #793 on: July 09, 2006, 02:33:44 PM »
hey, i think you have a good shot at any tier one. my advice would be to ask for fee waivers and apply to as many possible. pay for 16 that you cant get waivers for and apply to everything else. it seems like the sports experience may compensate for the gpa. Urms with much lower and only slightly better gpas have snuck into the top 20.  apply as many places as physically possible. i ended up getting into my reach with substandard lsat scores and im not a urm. if your personal statement places up the minority card you have some great shots at great schools.  just make sure you are willing to do the work at a good school before applying. if you pull a 2.8 from duke, or something like that, you will be indebt for ahwile. just consider the work it will require. law school is much harder then undergrad.  good luck in whatever you do :)  i think you could break t14 though.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: July 09, 2006, 07:34:16 PM »
hey, i think you have a good shot at any tier one. my advice would be to ask for fee waivers and apply to as many possible. pay for 16 that you cant get waivers for and apply to everything else. it seems like the sports experience may compensate for the gpa. Urms with much lower and only slightly better gpas have snuck into the top 20.  apply as many places as physically possible. i ended up getting into my reach with substandard lsat scores and im not a urm. if your personal statement places up the minority card you have some great shots at great schools.  just make sure you are willing to do the work at a good school before applying. if you pull a 2.8 from duke, or something like that, you will be indebt for ahwile. just consider the work it will require. law school is much harder then undergrad.  good luck in whatever you do :)  i think you could break t14 though.

ditto
...man, you was who you was before you got here

LeveragedSellout

• Swagger on a hundred, thousand, trillion
    • View Profile
black splitters
« Reply #795 on: July 12, 2006, 02:25:55 PM »
Although I'll end up graduating summa cum laude from Wake Forest, my lsac gpa is closer to 3.3 because I performed HORRENDOUSLY at a previous institution (colgate). Also, based on the practices I've taken, I'm sure I'll destroy the LSATS. How much do upward trends and lsat scores matter to elite law schools like harvard, penn, uva, duke, etc, especially as a black male (based on the spirited discussions you guys have had, this apparently helps profoundly). Should I forget the aformentioned schools? Thanks.

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
Re: black splitters
« Reply #796 on: July 12, 2006, 02:27:17 PM »
If you indeed destroy the LSAT as a Black man, and apply early, you're in at CCN MVP easily.  Might take a bit of an extra pop to get into HYS but it will be well within you reach.
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 12, 2006, 02:47:19 PM »
If you indeed destroy the LSAT as a Black man, and apply early, you're in at CCN MVP easily.  Might take a bit of an extra pop to get into HYS but it will be well within you reach.

I think he has excellent shot at HYS if he does indeed kill the LSAT (by killing I mean 175+). As long as there is a strong upward trend, you can excuse away early bad grades. A super strong LSAT and upward grade trend won't keep him out of Yale.

He's good with a 168+ I think.

LeveragedSellout

• Swagger on a hundred, thousand, trillion
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: July 12, 2006, 02:53:20 PM »
thanks

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: July 12, 2006, 03:11:13 PM »

I think he has excellent shot at HYS if he does indeed kill the LSAT (by killing I mean 175+). As long as there is a strong upward trend, you can excuse away early bad grades. A super strong LSAT and upward grade trend won't keep him out of Yale.

He's good with a 168+ I think.

a 168 and he'll be at H with us, but he'll prob need to break 170 for a better shot at Yale or Stanford.

Yeah, I agree -- 170+ for Yale.  Stanford is a weird case.  They let me in.  But they like Trumans.