Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 422577 times)

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: good lsat score
« Reply #780 on: July 04, 2006, 03:14:19 PM »
damn...damn ...damn! i have no idea what to write about in my personal statement. I cant write about anything i do at work because it involves things i can't discuss...(anyone working in DC/No. VA probably knows what im talking about) which sucks because it requires similar skills to those i would need in law school but anyway...just needed to vent before the barbeque....

I totally agree!!!  Right now the personal statement is the bane of my existence.  I thought I wrote a decent enough draft last night, but apparently it isn't personal and unique enough.  Eh.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 04, 2006, 04:08:20 PM »
I think I worked on that piece of trash for about 2 years off and on from the time I started to the time I finally got done.  Good luck with that.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 04, 2006, 05:16:15 PM »
I think I worked on that piece of trash for about 2 years off and on from the time I started to the time I finally got done.  Good luck with that.

Boo.  I definitely don't have two years.  And why'd you start so early?
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

lakers4life

• View Profile
    • Email
2.8/ 166 where should i apply...
« Reply #783 on: July 04, 2006, 09:18:40 PM »
What would be good choices for safety schools. I was thinking of applying to:

Reaches:

Harvard(my aunt is forcing me to apply)
UMich EA/ED
Georgetown EA/ED
UVA
UPenn
Cornell

Maybe

GW
Fordham
Emory
UNC
Miami
BU
W&L

Safety

Harvard
Temple
?

These threads probably pop up a lot im but im really having trouble with where to apply because no one on lsn has near my spread as well as being a urm(black male). Since I am the first in my family to ever go though grad school, I have gotten each of 8 family members to pay for 2 schools. That’s means 16 applications, is this good way to divide them up or am I being too risky with my choices.  My 2.8(should have went to class) is from a tier one private LAC and I was an econ/poli sci major. Played 2 D3 sports and was in a couple of organizations.

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
Re: 2.8/ 166 where should i apply...
« Reply #784 on: July 04, 2006, 09:25:49 PM »
Welcome.  There is no such thing as a safety school.  You never know what the AdComs are looking for when accessing your application. Look at US News and lawschoolnumbers.com.  That may assist you in how your numbers fit with other applications.

On another note I suggest that you not reference the Lakers in your application. :D
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 04, 2006, 09:42:26 PM »
welcome to the board lakers4life.

can you show an upward grade trend?  do you have any work experience? 

lakers4life

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #786 on: July 04, 2006, 09:47:02 PM »
I ruined my upward trend last marking period by letting some stupid things interfere with work.  I also have no significant work experience that will help.  I prob have a couple of really good recommendations though.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: July 04, 2006, 09:50:08 PM »
have you graduated yet or do you have the possibility of pulling up your gpa?

lakers4life

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #788 on: July 04, 2006, 09:54:54 PM »
No im graduating in ’07.  But I plan to apply early to most schools, so im not sure how much increasing my gpa will help but I plan on doing it just in case it can get me off a waitlist or something.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: July 04, 2006, 10:08:55 PM »
No im graduating in ’07.  But I plan to apply early to most schools, so im not sure how much increasing my gpa will help but I plan on doing it just in case it can get me off a waitlist or something.

ok on safeties do you have a geographical preference?  I think you could add UGA, Rutgers, American, Catholic

edit: I'd also add Duke as a reach