Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 426087 times)

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
Re: good lsat score
« Reply #750 on: June 30, 2006, 01:09:01 PM »
I know a couple of people at Harvard this year with LSAC GPAs under 3.0.  And I think they had lower LSATs too.  Just apply early and wide (do as many of the T14 as possible, and do a bunch of safeties in the 15-30 range).  With a 170 and that experience, you're golden if you apply early and put your best foot forward.  Good luck and keep us posted, man!
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
Re: good lsat score
« Reply #751 on: June 30, 2006, 01:37:48 PM »
"No disrespect, but I really really really really (x infinity) do not like this type of mentality."

ok, also no disrespect, not that i have to explain myself...but law schools do not give out minority specific information...so that is why i caveated my question with "for a minority" i know that a 170 is a good score, i prepared my a-- of to get it. but i am trying to honestly asses my chances with such a low gpa...which is why i asked for people's specific experience as that is a better indicator than all the b.s. that schools will tell you to get your $75. thank you to everyone who has responded your information has been helpful
...man, you was who you was before you got here

ladylegal

• My darling foxie...
    • View Profile
anyone fall within my numbers?
« Reply #752 on: July 01, 2006, 10:33:35 PM »
Hey,

I got a 162 (june 06)
3.3 (lsdas 3.0) undergrad
3.5 grad

I'm only considering nyc schools. Anyone with similiar stats get into columbia,nyu with even a little bit of money?

I think my chances with fordham, cardozo,brooklyn and st.johns are solid.

I'm also applying to hofstra, cuny, pace and new york as my safety schools.

So what do u guys think my chances are?
The cause of freedom is not the cause of a race or a sect, a party or a class--it is the cause of human kind, the very birthright of humanity.
--Anna Julia Cooper

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: anyone fall within my numbers?
« Reply #753 on: July 01, 2006, 11:36:58 PM »
So your numbers are 3.0 and 162.

you haven't given anymore info on what your application will look like, but based on numbers alone it's seems like you pretty much know the situation.

you'll get into all your "safeties"

should be good at cardozo, brooklyn, st. john's.  and i'd expect you in at fordham.

i wouldn't count on nyu, although there is a small outside shot.  worth applying.  columbia will be even tougher, but worth a shot.

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 02, 2006, 01:00:32 PM »
I only really know about the T14 so I can't comment on the other schools except I'd say don't bank on Fordham because I know URMs with better #s than yours who got the cold shoulder (outright rejected) this past cycle. Maybe Fordham's looking to advance in the US News ranking by raising its standards.

Is that so?

Man, where is mivida?
Die Luft der Freiheit weht

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 02, 2006, 01:19:28 PM »
Um yea, the last sentence that CN bolded stuck out to me as well.

Lady trojan, are you implying that raising one's standards automatically implies rejecting URMs with possibly lower numbers?
Columbia 3L

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 02, 2006, 01:34:24 PM »
Lets not be too sensitive people.  I read the statement as saying Fordham is raising its standards, and as such raising ones standards automatically implies rejecting ANYONE with possibly lower numbers.
Back in the saddle again.

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 02, 2006, 03:38:06 PM »
I think you should apply to both columbia and nyu. You won't get merit money, but you might get in.  What was your graduate degree in?  Do you have a compelling reason that your gpa was a 3.0? Were you working a lot, did you have a tough major, did you have one or 2 really bad terms, was there an upward trend?

fwiw, I sincerely doubt fordham is getting a lot of Black folk with 160+ LSATs, even if they are "raising their standards."  Lady Trojan, what kind of "URMS" are you talking about? Minorities are not interchangeable.

ladylegal

• My darling foxie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 02, 2006, 04:26:35 PM »
My grades started out like crap I really BS my first couple of semesters then I got serious and turned it around so there is a definite upward trend. My actually GPA is a 3.39 but however lsdas calculates it,  they report it as a 3.0. They do note however Academic Honors if that helps.I worked 40 hours a week the entire time I was in school all through grad school. Paid for both my brothers to go to private schools. My  grad degree is in Political Science (3.5) and I have a lot of community service under my belt. 
The cause of freedom is not the cause of a race or a sect, a party or a class--it is the cause of human kind, the very birthright of humanity.
--Anna Julia Cooper

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 02, 2006, 04:47:47 PM »
I think you should apply to wherever the hell you want. The fact that you are a Darkie and you got a 162 puts you in Ivy League Range

"Yeah right, not with those numbers"

Actually yeah, I know one girl got W/L at UPENN and she had a 154.

Send off the application and let the Adcomms tell you yes/no, don't eliminate yourself from the race before you ever start.
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09