Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 429479 times)

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
Re: 2.8 URM taking Princeton Review Course...
« Reply #710 on: June 08, 2006, 01:32:28 PM »
Its from Muhlenberg College, but not really an upward trend.

eh, yea I dunno. Just try to kill the LSAT, and once you get a score you can focus on a list of schools.
Die Luft der Freiheit weht

Slow Blues

« Reply #711 on: June 08, 2006, 01:35:45 PM »
Any work experience or extracurriculars? These could definitely help in your position.

Lady Trojan gives good advice. I did PR and was fairly pleased with my score, but if I had to do it over again, I would opt for Powerscore or Testmasters.

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 08, 2006, 01:39:15 PM »
on my second diagnostic got a 163, i think i can ge to a 170-172. Will that be good enough for Georgetown ED, or Fordham George Washington.

My GPA is mainly from being lazy and concentrating too much on college bball

Assuming from non-TTT school and in non-TTT major.  Also, that your application is air-tight.  Also that you write a good statement on how bball and how your GPA doesn't reflect anything close to your abilities.  Also that you're a black male:

A 2.8/170 will get you:

Everywhere outside the top-14 except UCLA.
In at Georgetown
In at Northwestern if you have work experience, otherwise, 60%
Don't know about Cornell
50% at Duke
No shot at Berkeley.
In at UMich
50% at UVa
30% at UPenn
50% at U Chicago
25% at NYU
20% at Columbia
25% at Harvard
5% at Stanford
No shot at Yale

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 08, 2006, 01:41:18 PM »
Thing is, I don't know anything about how practice tests and diagnostics and such match up with your actual score, but from previous posts I've seen, I'm not sure you can count on busting 170.

jfields32

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #714 on: June 08, 2006, 01:42:52 PM »
Just wanting to know its possible, now its time to bust my butt studying for the LSAT.  

If i write something about my gpa/basketball will they think im whining and hold it against me?

you right about getting a 170 being uncertain, but im pretty sure i at lesat get in the 167 - 170 range.

Slow Blues

« Reply #715 on: June 08, 2006, 01:44:39 PM »
Thing is, I don't know anything about how practice tests and diagnostics and such match up with your actual score, but from previous posts I've seen, I'm not sure you can count on busting 170.

My rough measuring stick is to subtract 3-5 points from your average diagnostic score.

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 08, 2006, 01:46:23 PM »
Just wanting to know its possible, now its time to bust my butt studying for the LSAT.  

If i write something about my gpa/basketball will they think im whining and hold it against me?

You BETTER write something about your GPA.  Just write it well, as everything in your application must be written.  Don't make it whiny and don't make it sound like you're trying to excuse yourself.  It should be explanatory and almost apologetic, as if you were just an unfocused young man at the time.  It certainly helps if you are a couple of years removed from it.

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Sr. Citizen
  • Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 165, 3.14, URM, How's my list look?
« Reply #717 on: June 08, 2006, 01:58:25 PM »
Alci just wants people to apply to Yale to ensure their US news Rankings stays as high as it is. We wouldnt want Virginia to creep up and take your spot.  ;)
UVA Class of 2009

Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them..  The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

-Fredrick Douglass

bkoroma22

• MSN Messenger - bkoroma22@yahoo.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - bkoroma22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - bkoroma22
    • View Profile
    • Email
Very dissapointed today
« Reply #718 on: June 29, 2006, 06:17:56 PM »
I studied by myself for the LSAT because I couldn't afford the test preps. I bought countless books but I only got a 147. Do I have any chance, I have a 3.5 GPA and graduated undergrad in three years? What schools do I have a chance with as an African American and where do I found out where I could fit in terms of scales.
Sometimes I just don't know

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Very dissapointed today
« Reply #719 on: June 29, 2006, 06:24:31 PM »
You can get into some good schools...perhaps with the new ABA policy you should think about re-taking.  What books did you buy?  How much did you study?  Did you use offical exams (including the lastest ones)?
Columbia 3L