Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 422181 times)

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
Re: Questions, Questions
« Reply #660 on: February 12, 2006, 05:46:54 PM »
:D Yeah I'm Canadian, but I was born and lived out my first three years in England.  My Grandparents, however, are from Jamaica.

PTP, you from the D (or surrounding area)?  I ask because I noticed you have the greatest player to ever step on a football field in your avator.

No, I'm not from Detroit or anywhere near but he's just my favorite player of all time and IMO the greatest RB of all time (or at least the most exciting to watch).

candidate06

• View Profile
Need Help--Chances
« Reply #661 on: March 09, 2006, 02:05:41 PM »
Hi Everyone:

This is my first time posting to the BLSDB but I have been lurking for awhile.  I desperately need help because as the application season comes to a close--I am beginning to freak out that I may be rejected from everywhere I applied. 

I gradated from Cornell in May with a 3.48 (cum laude) and my major GPA was a 3.78 (which I made sure to point out since the 1st two years I was a biology major and thought I would attend med school).  My problem is my very low LSAT score of 152.  I have a history of poor testing (consistently scoring in the 40-60 percentile ranges) and discussed this in an addendum.  I also grew up disadvantaged(father in jail and have been trying to escape the inner city most of my life) which I discussed in my personal statement.

My first choice is GW and I applied for both the part time and full time program.  Apart from this I am also looking at Fordham.

My List:
George Washington University (part time and full time)
Fordham University
Boston University
Georgetown University (part time and full time)
Cornell University
University of Illinois (b/c I got a fee waiver).

I am afraid that I may be reaching too high based on my LSAT.  March 15th is a deadline for some schools---so if anyone has any recommendations of schools I should add to my list, Please let me know.  Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can boost my chances while I wait, please let me know.

candidate06

• View Profile
Re: Need Help--Chances
« Reply #662 on: March 09, 2006, 02:14:31 PM »
I should mention that I am black female (African immigrant).

Andromeda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: March 09, 2006, 02:21:58 PM »
It's always good to aim really high but I will suggest you try to get some safeties as well because admissions is very competitive even for blacks. You look like you are leaning towards the tri state DC/MD/VA area. You should check out these other schools.

American, Washington College of Law
Howard **You have to apply to Howard**
George Mason

Stencilasnusky

« Reply #664 on: March 09, 2006, 02:29:52 PM »
Hi..welcome to BLSD..I generally do not encourage folks posting these "What are my chances" posts cos I think they set you up for others to determine what your destiny is and as such.....BUT, seeing theat you are newbie and I am also African..I will help you.  :D

OK..generally as a black female you are less in demand than a black male but nevertheless I think your score is not too much a hurdle. I know someone with similar paper stats (but extensive WE) who got into UPenn this cycle. I assume you have applied to all the schools below and that you did so no later than early Dec 2005, in that case I think you will need a homerun P Stmt and good LORs to compensate for being a recent undergrad (i.e. with no extensive work experience). What are you looking to do with a law degree? Cos that might also affect which school you should go to. Personally I think GULC and maybe Cornell might be tough (but as a Cornell grad they may have a soft spot for you). GWU and BU might be OK but because of your lack of significant WE, I don't know what else you can say you did. I think you should be OK at U of I and Fordham..are there any honors, significant extra curriculars, study abroad etc that you have. I don't want you to limit yourself to my advice, apply to as many t-30s as possible, but also know that some may turn you down. If you have faith and do beleive, you'll be surprised what will happen. The worst case is if you don't apply you will definitely not get in.

candidate06

• View Profile
« Reply #665 on: March 09, 2006, 02:38:27 PM »
Thanks King Shark.  As far as work experience goes, I am currently a paralegal at a top employment law firm in NYC.  I co-founded from the ground up a successful summer storage business while still a junior in college --grossing over $15,000 in two successive years.  Honors and awards--nothing too extraordinatry but I was active in a number of student org. on campus and a member of the University Board of Health.

This summer, I will work with an  NGO to develop a grassroots women's empowerment campaign in Ghana.

However, I didn't necessarily focus on any of these accomplishments except of course on my resume. Do you think it may be a good idea to write to the schools and discuss the above while i wait.

candidate06

• View Profile
« Reply #666 on: March 09, 2006, 02:40:48 PM »
Also King Shark, I would like to work in employment law upon graduation--on the side of the corporations though so I guess corporate law.

ScoopNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #667 on: March 09, 2006, 02:56:14 PM »
You still have time. I'd suggest taking the LSAT again if you think you can get closer to 160, I think if you got anything over a 155, you'd be on surer footing especially for GULC or Cornell.
In:Northwestern, Emory, Temple ($$), Wash. U($$), Michigan($$$)! Cornell
Out: Columbia
Wait: GULC, NYU.

Slow Blues

« Reply #668 on: March 09, 2006, 03:26:25 PM »
I think by and large King Shark's advice is good and I think Andromeda's choices make sense. Here's my question: Would you consider re-taking the LSAT this June and applying for admission in 2007? Basis: Applying next year lets you take another crack at the LSAT and get everything in order, from your Ghana campaign to savings for school to re-taking the LSAT. I'm not willing to buy the argument that you just don't test well. I think with enough prep, you can improve your score significantly. The rest of your application is quite polished, but I think it's safe to say the major flaw in the whole thing is your LSAT score. If you really want to go to Georgetown and Cornell, you're going to have to get that score up. It's the only thing holding you back.

If you're waitlisted, I think you'll want to expound on your accomplishments in school, your work experience and your humanitarian goals. If you can, tie in this work to a good reason for wanting to attend the school in question. I'm not certain this will help, but I know it can't hurt.

Stencilasnusky

« Reply #669 on: March 09, 2006, 04:08:03 PM »
Holy Scipio...you did all that?? That is awesome. You are right in implying that your p stmt should NOT be in anyway be a recital of your resume. It has to stand out and focus on depth not breadth. Having said that, I wish I could advise you not to take the LSAT (the UPENN admit I mentioned did not retake and he had the same score as yours..he also never wrote an addendum on the LSAT..not testing well etc, but did have significant WE and was a Certified Financial Analyst). I only recommend addendums if they are specifically addressing your strengths and an adverse situation you overcame to be who you are today. But if you really want to aim high you want T-14 schools.I say that cos ..not to sound like an arrogant high nosed prick..but there is a reason why they call the T-14 the T-14..Substantially all of the major players in employment law (and just about any of the major firms) get at least 80% of their folks from t-14. if you feel strongly enough that you CAN get a higher score (remember its averaged), then go for it for Fall 2007. Like Blues said cos a 162 is a heck of a lot different from a 152 and it can open more doors that would otherwise be shut.

Thanks King Shark.  As far as work experience goes, I am currently a paralegal at a top employment law firm in NYC.  I co-founded from the ground up a successful summer storage business while still a junior in college --grossing over $15,000 in two successive years.  Honors and awards--nothing too extraordinatry but I was active in a number of student org. on campus and a member of the University Board of Health.

This summer, I will work with an  NGO to develop a grassroots women's empowerment campaign in Ghana.

However, I didn't necessarily focus on any of these accomplishments except of course on my resume. Do you think it may be a good idea to write to the schools and discuss the above while i wait.