Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official BLSD "What Are My Chances?/Where Should I Apply?" Thread  (Read 425796 times)

petitschoque

Re: URM LSAT Boost
« Reply #620 on: February 05, 2006, 06:23:56 PM »
the ray charles comment was outta line... 

defensive much???

chill out

You're about six days too late to take that up with me. Please join me in *getting over it* ;)

Dillz

• View Profile
    • Email
Undergrad w/ a question
« Reply #621 on: February 06, 2006, 01:01:48 PM »
Right now im a sophmore at indiana university with a 2.8 gpa..but it will go up. I am wondering if I should just take fluff classes in undergrad to get a good gpa or should I take challenging classes and end up with an ok gpa. I really want to go to law school and but I know about the amount of debt u go into while in school..I come for a low income family and im a 1st generation college kid so I dont know how i would pay for law school...and what should i do now to prepare for law school? And the admission process

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Undergrad w/ a question
« Reply #622 on: February 06, 2006, 01:13:27 PM »
Ideally you would take challenging classes and do well.  Additionally, if you want a real education, take the challenging classes.  Barring that, if your goal is to get into a good law school, take the fluff classes.  The best thing you can do now to prepare for law school is get the GPA up.

crazy8

« Reply #623 on: February 06, 2006, 01:19:42 PM »
Right now im a sophmore at indiana university with a 2.8 gpa..but it will go up. I am wondering if I should just take fluff classes in undergrad to get a good gpa or should I take challenging classes and end up with an ok gpa. I really want to go to law school and but I know about the amount of debt u go into while in school..I come for a low income family and im a 1st generation college kid so I dont know how i would pay for law school...and what should i do now to prepare for law school? And the admission process

Dillz,

it's great that you're thinking about this already.  I would have to agree with Alci.  You should definitely try to get the best out of college, and take classes that are challenging, but also intersest you so that you can get good grades.  With that said, your GPA and LSAT are a major part of your acceptance into law school.  If you can increase that GPA and study hard (over the summer) on taking the LSAT (take a prep class if you think it could help you even slightly).  If you do this and your numbers increase, you will have the best opportunity at getting into law school, and can also be offered scholarships based on these numbers.  Hope that helps.

Stencilasnusky

« Reply #624 on: February 06, 2006, 01:20:26 PM »
I am wondering if I should just take fluff classes in undergrad to get a good gpa or should I take challenging classes and end up with an ok gpa. I really want to go to law school
[/quote]

What is your current undergrad major or combination? You definitely don't want fluff classes for GPA infation cos it won' help you in the short run (if you decide not to go to law school and then seek a job) and in the long run (cos law school is no joke and you don't want to be academically unprepared). Do you know what you want to use your law school degree for? Politics, Court clerkship, private practice of Big time law partner. In any case, you want to go to the best law school you can get into and a 2.9 GPA will probably not push you into the Top 20. Basically , you will need to concentrate very hard on getting as many As as possible between now and graduation. You want to be somewhere in the 3.8+ GPA range or higher for Liberal arts type degrees, 3.5+ for Business, Science and Engineering Majors if possible. You also want to strongly prepare for your LSAT and aim for the highest scores possible, but nothing lower than 165 if yon can help it. Law School is a major investment that pays astronimical dividends in the future if handled correctly..whatever you are doing now that is giving you 2.9 GPA needs to be terminated and a major about face towards the top should be done. Nothing is impossible if you put your heart and mind to it...Believe! Then work hard!!

Dillz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #625 on: February 06, 2006, 01:27:35 PM »
My major now is Public Management with a minor in legal studies...i changed it from what it was last year(Crim jus and telecom double major)..the reason my gpa suffered was b/c I started partying way too much and stopped going to class. the 2.8 gpa is just from my freshman year..I sat out the 1st semester of this year b/c of Military duty and I am doing well this semester so mt gpa should increase a bit after the semester.

Dillz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #626 on: February 06, 2006, 01:33:02 PM »
I would like to concentrate on corporate or contract law also mybe entertainment law ...b/c I have a cousin who is a rookie for the steelers and another cousin who is getting drafted this year so I would like to be their agents when I get out...I would like end up with my own firm though in the end

Stencilasnusky

« Reply #627 on: February 06, 2006, 01:56:52 PM »
I would like to concentrate on corporate or contract law also mybe entertainment law ...b/c I have a cousin who is a rookie for the steelers and another cousin who is getting drafted this year so I would like to be their agents when I get out...I would like end up with my own firm though in the end

Good! I'm very happy for you that you realized you erred and have now taken it up to make amends. Don't worry..certainly you have a shot as high as you want to go. Stay focused on your current curriculum (its not a good sign to hop around majors) and work hard at excelling in all things. Definitely can the partying if it will adversely affect your grades and realize that you are in school as an investment not a rite of passage. Just believe, stay focusd and work hard. Your being in the armed forces is a solid plus and I hope you reflect that as part of your development in your essay when you apply to law school. Make solid contacts with your professors and tutors (you will need them to write recomendations for you) as well as a professional contact (e.g. your direct superior in the Armed Forces) who will also write a recommendation for you. All these will pan out well in the next 2-3 yrs if you stay on track. When its time for your LSAT prepare for it like everything depended on it, aim high and shoot. I believe you may very well have a shot at Yale, Harvard, Chicago, Michigan or wherever you want to go. Like I said..Believe, then work hard! :)

Dillz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #628 on: February 06, 2006, 02:01:57 PM »
thank you for your kindness and encouraging words I really appreciate it

*shell*

• Sr. Citizen
  • FSU...@#!* *&^% up
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shellrae007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #629 on: February 06, 2006, 02:03:54 PM »
a few fluff classes should help, but if u load up on them most adcomms see right through it.  also going to agree with other posters that you'd be cheating yourself too.  work hard, take interesting courses, and kick some lsat ass and you should be ok.  schools like seeing upward trends in grades too, so its good you have 2.5 years to make up for your gpa.
FSU Law Class of 2009!!!