Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What Do/Did YOU Look for in a Law School?  (Read 3243 times)

NYBound05

What Do/Did YOU Look for in a Law School?
« on: February 20, 2005, 08:24:26 PM »
This goes out to all the soon-to-be 1L's, the 1Ls, and the law school graduates on here:

What are you guys looking for in a law school?  Besides the obvious like "a great PI, IP, (or whatever else) program," what are the other things you guys are looking at when you visit or are deciding on your prospective schools?

Here's what I have (in no particular order):

-Proportion and strength of Black student body on campus
-Bar passage rate
-Incomes of graduates
-General atmosphere of student body (I don't want to go to a cut-throat school)

I can't think of much else  :-\.  What do you 1Ls and L.S. graduates wish you would have looked at when choosing your respective schools?  What did you feel were the most important things to consider?  What kinds of things did you look at when you visited schools?   

I'm gonna be visiting schools soon and I want to make sure that I ask all the right questions and I don't forget to look into anything important.  Plus, I think this kind of information would be really helpful for all the soon-to-be 1L's on here.  So share!

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
Re: What Do/Did YOU Look for in a Law School?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 09:08:41 PM »
Some of the things that I'm interested in are kind of superficial.  Among them:
*An active BLSA (meaning a strong black community within the school)
*Collegial environment
*Urban setting
*Tier 1, preferably top 20 (I'm a semi-rankings whore)

Of the more important factors I'm looking for are:
*Accesible faculty
*Joint degree programs (specifically political science or sociology)
*International/health law program
*Bar passage rate

I've only been accepted to one of the schools I really want to attend, but I'm also planning to attend as many admitted students days as I possibly can.
The George Washington University Law School c/o 2008

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 09:56:15 PM »
I'm going to attend a law school near my hometown, since all of my relatives and most of my wife's relatives live there. 

It took me three years to realize that there are precious few things more important than family, so I made my law school choice accordingly.
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

puma

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 10:49:29 PM »
one that would accept me.

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 10:51:35 PM »
Location and ranking are tops on my list. Yes, I know... must not worry too much about ranking. But I know enough to know that it helps.

Other factors include bar passage rates, environment, faculty, and academics (not ordered by priority).

1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

twarga

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 11:12:07 PM »
OK, I know this one.  I look for books, professors, students, desks... the list goes on and on.  Ooh, and a good cafeteria.  Gotta have good eats.

Tymeless

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 10:06:05 AM »
I look for wireless connectivity; professors, class/school size (big one for me), library and staff helpfulness, programs, location, bar passage rate, active blsa and of course, they accepted me. I mean the list could go on.

"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
I am taking all the shots I can.
In:NYLS, Touro
Out: St. Johns, Brooklyn, Hofstra (Damn, Damn, Damn!!!)

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 02:24:51 PM »
Atmosphere/Location
Student Body
Student to Professor Ratio
Variety in clinical courses
Minorities population and how they interact
Bar passage rate
Average income (however that doesnít really matter to me anymore)
Level of attractiveness of the opposite sex  8) (hey I'm being honest!)
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 04:30:39 PM »
I did not apply to any school that I could not drive to.
Raising my daughters in a stable environment is my first priority, so I was unwilling to move.
Thankfully, there are a lot of decent schools within driving distance of my current home.

When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

wrmusgro

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 06:22:00 PM »
This goes out to all the soon-to-be 1L's, the 1Ls, and the law school graduates on here:

What are you guys looking for in a law school?  Besides the obvious like "a great PI, IP, (or whatever else) program," what are the other things you guys are looking at when you visit or are deciding on your prospective schools?

Here's what I have (in no particular order):

-Proportion and strength of Black student body on campus
-Bar passage rate
-Incomes of graduates
-General atmosphere of student body (I don't want to go to a cut-throat school)

I can't think of much else  :-\.  What do you 1Ls and L.S. graduates wish you would have looked at when choosing your respective schools?  What did you feel were the most important things to consider?  What kinds of things did you look at when you visited schools?   

I'm gonna be visiting schools soon and I want to make sure that I ask all the right questions and I don't forget to look into anything important.  Plus, I think this kind of information would be really helpful for all the soon-to-be 1L's on here.  So share!

Schools that would accept me. And also schools in an urban environment. (I grew up in the country and got the heck out of town as soon as I turned 18) Mainly for schools that would accept me though. :D