Did you like Andre 3000 "The Love Below"

Yes
 30 (69.8%)
No
 7 (16.3%)
Undecided
 6 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: The Official Hiphop Thread  (Read 34139 times)

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Hiphop Thread
« Reply #370 on: January 09, 2007, 12:50:02 PM »
I "previewed" the album with all intentions of buying it if it were on point.  Sadly, I just wasn't feeling it.  There are a few songs that are tight...Dig a Hole (especially the last verse) and kingdom Come were both tight imo. Usually on a Jay-Z album there are one or two songs that you have to fast forward through, but this time around it seems more like 5 or 6.  And the songs that were bad, were soooooo bad I don't know what homie was thinking. Beach chair? If Clay Aiken and Dr. Phil got together to make a movie Beach Chair could be the lead single on the soundtrack...haha.  Just weird man, it didn't work for me.

I'll have to sit this one out...waiting for Nas.

OK folks, what's the consensus on that new Nas??

That Nas is straight Fire!!! True Hip Hop!!!  However, I am sad to say that I must make a retraction on one of my previous statements on the board.  I am officially a Kingdom Come fan.

I was chilling one day and just felt more mature and like I am becoming a mature Hustler.  So then I needed a soundtrack to go with my new Hustler state of mind and Kingdom Come became that soundtrack.  The album has been bumping in my car ever since.

As for Hip Hop is Dead, Nas really give you a history lesson on this album.  This album to me is the Biography of Hip Hop through the eyes of Nas.  He really gives it up to the old heads on this album.  I am impressed with it.  However, I donít feel like thinking that hard on my off time so I have not committed to listening to this album on a regular basis.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 12, 2007, 10:14:08 PM »
nas and jay shoulda put them out as a doulbe album like big boy and andre did...that woulda been hype...'cause those are the only two joints in rotation through my alpine right now...
...man, you was who you was before you got here

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 13, 2007, 08:22:06 PM »
Eugene Young says garbage.

Chairmon Young says fire.

Jarhead [honorary Young] also agrees with the fire.

Burning Sands [honorary Young] will have to be complicated and go with somewhere between Fire and Garbage.

A track by track analysis:

#1 - Money Over Bullsh!t 
Beat: 3 mics
Lyrics: 2 mics
Memorable Lines: "Rule 2 thoughtchu knew, don't f*ck with GodSon"
Comments:  First track is just so-so. Nothing to write home about but decent.

#2 - You Can't Kill Me 
Beat: 2 mics
Memorable Lines: ?
Comments: Not much to say about this one. Kind of just filler space.

#3 - Carry On Tradition 
Lyrics: 3 mics
Memorable Lines: "I got an exam, let's see if ya'll pass it - let's see who can quote a Daddy Kane line the fastest"
Comments: The counterpart to Jay-Z's "30's the New 20"; Nas addresses the mentality of the hip hop industry and the current shortcomings of contemporary hip hop artists who claim to be better than the originators of hip hop.

#4 - Where Are They Now? 
Memorable Lines: -
Comments: A tribute to the old school.

#5 - Hip Hop is Dead 
Beat: 4 mics
Lyrics: 4 mics
Memorable Lines: "So you can't blame jazz musicians or David Stern with his NBA fashion issues, oh I think they like me, in my White T, you can't ice me we're here for life B, on my second marriage - hip hop's my first wifey"
Comments: The flagship of the album.  Nas delivers in this one which gets you hype for the rest of the album with varying results.

#6 - Who Killed It 
Memorable Lines: "look here, ya'see"
Comments: Nas clownin'.

#7 - Black Republicans 
Memorable Lines: "makes a sweet honest kid turn illegal from commerce to get his feet out of them converse - that's my word"
Comments: Nas & Jay-Z callabo on this track, which unfortunately doesn't deliver the fire that one would anticipate considering these two hip hop giants.  The track is not bad, just not as good as you would hope.

#8 - Not Going Back 
Memorable Lines: "...all those things - you still ain't really doing sh!t, kid; cause in reality I learned my salary; the way I flaunted it then would now embarass me; it kinda make me wanna hate bling, its a race thing how they sell blacks the bootleg sh!t, in fact, real millionaires spend $60 mill on paintings..."
Comments: Nas and wifey Kellis remind cats that even though he doesn't live in the hood he still knows what's going on in the streets.  Good hook by Kellis.

#9 - Still Dreaming 
Memorable Lines: "how you a man waiting for the next man to get rich? Your plan is to stick out your hand real quick? So if he feed your family and he serve you sh!t, then he need that head you gettin - he deserve ya b!tch"
Comments: Kanye puts his touch on a track.

#10 - Hold Down the Block 
Memorable Lines: "anytime brothers can't get jobs then they rob, a man'd rather die then live on his knees and starve"
Comments: Nas commentary on life on the block.  Shout outs to Queensbridge, NY and South and East Orange, NJ.

#11 - Blunt Ashes 
Comments: Talkin about the substance abuse and tragedies of famous musicians & entertainers in the industry. 

#12 - Let There Be Light 
Memorable Lines: "when you're 4 years in the game, we can have a conversation; 8 years in the game, I'll invite you on vacation; 10 years in the game, after I've enjoyed my fame, only then I'll let you pick my brain"
Comments: Nas reflects on how NY fell victim to gang violence and other inner city problems that eventually allowed the West Coast & South to temporarily take over the rap industry in the 90's in the eyes of the mainstream, how Nas and the East Coast have never really lost their position to the true hip hop community, and how the mainstream is starting to realize that. (which would make this track the campanion track to Jay-Z's "Kingdom Come" on the Kingdom Come album)

#13 - Play on Playa 
Comments: The usual standard collabo with Snoop.

#14 - Can't Forget About You 
Memorable Lines: "can't forget when the first rap Grammy went to Jazzy, Fresh Prince; Fat Boys broke up, rap hasn't been the same since"
Comments: Another tribute to the hip hop pioneers who paved the way. Quality hook by Chrisette Michelle that sounds something like Billie Holiday.

#15 - Hustlers 
Comments:  Dr. Dre puts his touch on the album.  Much like the production on "Kingdom Come", Dre leaves a little something to be desired.

#16 - Hope 
Beat: n/a
Memorable Lines: "Cause if you're askin why is hip hop dead, there's a pretty good chance you the reason it died, man "
Comments: Nas goes accapella and chronicles his experience with hip hop from its birth in the 80's thru to today.  The theme of a well needed reality check for today's hip hop artists and fans is brought up once again in true Nas fashion.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 13, 2007, 08:46:38 PM »
...carry on tradition...its a wrap......and keep listenin' to kingdom come...the genius is on a timed release

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 15, 2007, 09:09:29 PM »
if my girl leave me... she gone' leave me for sutin' she gone leave me for halle... she ain't gonna leave me for nutin'...imagine me messing with some lil sleazy...sutin' so easy...i need angelina joleezy to please me...FIRE! 

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: January 15, 2007, 09:57:17 PM »
if my girl leave me... she gone' leave me for sutin' she gone leave me for halle... she ain't gonna leave me for nutin'...imagine me messing with some lil sleazy...sutin' so easy...i need angelina joleezy to please me...FIRE! 

Yeah he was tryin to let 'em know don't beleive the hype with Free.  I got Beyonce ya'll.  Fall back.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 17, 2007, 01:46:42 PM »
why are there no more dope female mcs.... it was like lyte...the queeen of all queens no one did it better (and in case ya'll younguns don't know if you hear a female mc saying a dope line ala lil' kim etc. she's prolly quoting lyte the mc)....lauren...the only one name needed....exquisite chocolate mmm mmm mmm let me shut my mouth...truly worthy to quote lyte the mc...then that's it

newme165

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 17, 2007, 01:51:31 PM »
why are there no more dope female mcs.... it was like lyte...the queeen of all queens no one did it better (and in case ya'll younguns don't know if you hear a female mc saying a dope line ala lil' kim etc. she's prolly quoting lyte the mc)....lauren...the only one name needed....exquisite chocolate mmm mmm mmm let me shut my mouth...truly worthy to quote lyte the mc...then that's it
Because the knew female rappers are so into being sexy and selling to the mainstream that they forget about being mcs.
The LSAT makes me cry!!!!!!!!

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 17, 2007, 01:59:19 PM »
Because the knew female rappers are so into being sexy and selling to the mainstream that they forget about being mcs.

well that's the obvious answer...there were chicks on that bumpin' and grindin' kick back in the day but they didn't get no shine...not like lyte and lauren...i think it's more than that...most of them have to focus on sex because they can't rap....my question is...why is that...i dont think lyrical ability is correlated w/sex...

newme165

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 17, 2007, 02:03:17 PM »

well that's the obvious answer...there were chicks on that bumpin' and grindin' kick back in the day but they didn't get no shine...not like lyte and lauren...i think it's more than that...most of them have to focus on sex because they can't rap....my question is...why is that...i dont think lyrical ability is correlated w/sex...
I kinda do. Look at the way that lyte and lauren dress, act and rap. So I do think that it has something to do with the fact they are not throwing their sexuality around and are focused on other things besides bumping and grinding. But I don't know.
The LSAT makes me cry!!!!!!!!