Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: chances for 3.38/174  (Read 2594 times)

eve1789

• View Profile
chances for 3.38/174
« on: January 21, 2005, 01:42:45 PM »
I wanted to know what my chances are for Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, and Georgetown.  Also, should I even bother applying to HYS?  My 3.38 is from HYP, I am a URM, have great public interest and public interest law experience domestically and internationally, strong upward trend in grades, socioeconomic disadvantage and personal tragedy during college.  In other words, my numbers are low, but the "soft" factors I have heard people speak of work to my advantage because at any of these schools I'm clearly a borderline case.  What do you guys think?  Any anecdotal evidence?

Thanks!

foxnewssucks

Re: chances for 3.38/174
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 01:44:50 PM »
might get into G-town.  not looking so hot at the the rest.

eve1789

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 01:48:00 PM »
What other good schools in New York, DC, Boston, or West Coast should I apply to if Columbia/NYU too much of a reach? 

foxnewssucks

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 01:51:48 PM »
CUNY, Suffolk, Howard, and Whittier will all give you money.

Your Mom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 01:54:05 PM »
You'll get in to GW with lots of money if you apply, but I wouldn't count yourself out at any of the other schools just yet.  There haven't been enough regular admits this cycle to tell for certain.  With a 174 and URM status I think you still definitely stand a chance at HYS and Columbia/NYU.  Much more so than myself.  I'm looking at American as my best bet right now.  Good luck!

RocketBot

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 01:56:10 PM »
???

I don't know what Franz is talking about...  A 3.38/174 gives you a solid shot at Columbia and NYU, especially as a URM with other solid soft factors.  I'd say a very good shot, if you beast out a great PS.  Don't be discouraged-- HYS is a huge reach, but still possible, but you have a considerable chance at Columbia, NYU, and Georgetown.  I'd say Berkeley is up in the air too, but their GPA stance is pretty tough.  Apply everywhere!

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 01:56:53 PM »
I would say that given your URM status and your excelent LSAT you stand a good chance at almost any school out thier including Columbia and NYU.

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 01:57:37 PM »
Depending upon your background (URM status - for example, being African American can give more of a push), I think you will be a solid admit at any of the listed schools (CNBG).  I would not be suprised if you were accepted at all four.  

HYS would obviously be more of a stretch, but definitely w/in reach.  I would definitely apply and see what happens.

Your Mom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 02:02:55 PM »
Two big points to remember a) if you don't apply, you definitely won't get in  b) don't listen to 90% of the things people "say" on this board.  A lot of people will tell you that you can't or won't get in based largely on a few anecdotal cases or statistics from last cycle.  Stay positive, ROCK your personal statement and recs and feel confident that you did your best.  With your scores/history I'm sure you will end up someplace excellent.  Don't let anyone tell you different.

Ricockulous

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 02:09:54 PM »
All I can say is look at my stats/where I applied.

We're twins, except you're even better off since you're URM and your undergrad is better.

That doesn't tell you where you'll get in, but it does say what I think (anywhere you want)
Stats: 174, 3.38 (Georgetown), decent ECs, 4 yrs int'l WE
Applied: Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Chicago
Donged:
Waitlisted: Michigan
Accepted:  UVA (in-state), Northwestern, NYU

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0405&user=richarnd&sort=status