Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: how much is an Ivy GPA worth?  (Read 12868 times)

PitcherShot

• View Profile
how much is an Ivy GPA worth?
« on: December 28, 2004, 09:52:07 PM »
How much should be added to one's GPA if he's from Harvard/Yale/Princeton? I know a 3.8 at one of those schools is worth more to a law school app than a 3.8 at Seton Hall (no offense, pirates...yarr.), but how much more is it worth? If you had to quantify it, how much would it be? 0.05? 0.1?

WoeIsMe

Re: how much is an Ivy GPA worth?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 10:32:56 PM »
my guess, times 100

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 10:35:52 PM »

PitcherShot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004, 10:46:58 PM »
seriously? 0.01? That doesn't seem quite right. I get the feeling most yalies would be pulling down 4.0s at a community college, but the average GPA at Yale is 3.3 I think. Don't they have to add more to compensate?

Or maybe you were making a joke, which was so uninspired that I'm not even sure it was a joke. Either way, I must repeat - seriously?

jakew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004, 10:50:14 PM »
I'm sure some people with more knowledge than me will chime in, but from what I've heard it isn't much of an advantage. They care how well you did at school rather than where you went. As for someone easily getting a 4.0 at a JC vs. Yale having an average GPA of 3.3, I know that LSAC reports the average GPA of law-school applicants from your undergrad school, so that could be a useful piece of information for law schools.

PitcherShot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2004, 11:11:14 PM »
But the point I'm advocating is that how well you do at your undergrad can depend on where you go. For example, if you could rate students like you could rate Madden players, a 96 math major at Harvard might get a 3.6, while her counterpart in an alternate world who goes to Eastern Michigan gets a 4.0. Don't the adcomms do more to address this?

Otherwise, wouldn't law schools be inadvertently encouraging students to go to fluff undergrad schools and come out four years later having done little work but with a rose-smelling 4.0?

This question might have already been answered, but please forgive me in my dewy newbiedom and answer it again.

AmbitV

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2004, 11:13:22 PM »
collar up!!

Gummo

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 11:28:12 PM »
aren't most ivies grade-inflated as hell?  it might be harder to pull down a 4.0 at a community college, where most people have below 2.0 and the instructors aren't afraid to flunk people out. 

Dank Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 11:30:45 PM »
aren't most ivies grade-inflated as hell?  it might be harder to pull down a 4.0 at a community college, where most people have below 2.0 and the instructors aren't afraid to flunk people out. 

Exactly.  Ivy league schools are NOTORIOUS for grade inflation.  Just about EVERYONE gets a 3.5 or above. In fact, it's gotten so bad at Princeton that they've actually adopted a policy where there is now a maximum percentage of students in any given class that are allowed to get A's.  The percentage may be as high as 80%. (I forget the actual number, but I'm sure if you google well you'll come up with the article.

That being said, I'm sure the top law schools will look more favorably on someone who attended and Ivy League school than an equally-qualified candidate who did not.  Or not.  I'm just guessing here.

Matthew_24_24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Sigh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2004, 11:51:07 PM »
Honestly admission officials for law schools are behind the times.  They seem much more interested in your numbers than your degree program, the school you came from or your mitigating circumstances.  That being said, Ivy League schools are not hurt too much by this due to grade inflation. 

In other professional programs like Optometry and Medicine i know these factors weigh in heavily.   And sometimes, due to average grades, not to the Ivy Leagues favour.

Matt