Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ((((( The List of Schools for an Average Applicant )))))  (Read 1546 times)

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
((((( The List of Schools for an Average Applicant )))))
« on: December 07, 2004, 09:44:19 PM »
Stats:  151 (didn't take any course, just study on my own for few weekends), 3.37, NOT URM, Florida Resident, Average Law Student Age (23-26), few honors awards, few jobs here and there. 

Here is my list of schools (All Tier 1 and Tier 2 with the exception of Stetson, a Tier 3)  with the 1 meaning first choices, 2 meaning second choices, etc.   

Law School                             Reasons
1   Florida State University (Instate, great reputation in FL, close enough to Atlanta that I might get a job there too if I want)
1   University of Georgia   (Great reputation at South, low cost of living, great location, close enough to Atlanta, possible job opportunity in FL if I choose to)
1   University of Florida   (Instate, great reputation in FL)
2   Univerity of Tennessee (Great reputation in TN, good reputation at South, hear great things about the location and cost is not that bad)
2   George Mason University (VA is a beautiful state. George Mason is ranked pretty high and it's on the rise)
2   University of Arkansas ACCEPTED with 1/2 tuition scholarship (Read that Fayettevill is an awsome/beautiful place to live.  The cost for me to go to UA is comparable to go to FSU or UF.  Possible job opportunity at the legal department of Wal-mart).
3   Georgia State University (It's in the South...but I don't really want to live in Atlanta DURING law school because of the size of the city and the higher cost)
3   University of Mississippi (Great reputation in MS, but..the lack of diversity(hispanics, asians) of the school and the entire state concerns me)  
3   Stetson University (It's in the South..close to home...good repuation in central FL...but it's a Third Tier and the tuition is high)
4   Saint Louis University  (I applied there because it was free application)
4   Louisiana State University (I want my money back!!..seriously..um..the cost of attending is low compare to lots of schools..it's in the south...but..Louisiana's law is slightly different from other states and that concerns me a little...and the environment in LA is not that great from what I have heard/read)
4   Washington and Lee University(I applied there because it was free application) and it's located in VA. 

I was accepted to University of Arkansas (Tier 2) immediately after my file was completed with an index number of 196 (along with scholarship).  Minimum for in-state is 199 and for out-state is 205.  They claim that they only accept about 20 applicants each year with lower than the indicated index numbers.  I wouldn't mind going to UA, but I would love to get into my 1st and 2nd choices.  Since UA accepted me so soon even with such low numbers, do you think I have a good chance of getting into my 1st and 2nd choices? Any thought/opinons on my choices?

Thanks. 

Goin Down South

• Sr. Citizen
  • ..where chilren wear no clothes
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ((((( The List of Schools for an Average Applicant )))))
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 11:38:33 AM »
1. Southern Methodist U
1. U of North Carolina
1. Boston College
2. Wake Forest
3. Arizona State
3. Tulane
4. American
4. Case Western
5. Florida State
5. U of Miami
5. Ohio Sate
5. Tennessee

Hoping for 1 of the first 6.  GPA - 3.77, LSAT - 159

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 06:22:37 PM »
I like your list that you don't have tons of safeties.

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 06:41:15 PM »
how forgiving do you guys think uf and um are for big splits?  im also applying to a bunch of top schools, but realistically i feel like im going to end up at one of those two schools.

AmbitV

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 06:44:18 PM »
casca i think with that LSAT you can easily get into top 50, probably even some top 20 will take you.

JDPlease

• 2.5 UGPA, 153 LSAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2004, 01:37:28 AM »
I agree, a 170+ on the LSAT should pull an acceptance into one of the T14 schools. If not, then go get 2-3 years of good work experience and use your same test score to apply again. With that done, Georgetown, here you come...

wrmusgro

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2004, 07:38:38 PM »
Stats:  151 (didn't take any course, just study on my own for few weekends), 3.37, NOT URM, Florida Resident, Average Law Student Age (23-26), few honors awards, few jobs here and there. 

Here is my list of schools (All Tier 1 and Tier 2 with the exception of Stetson, a Tier 3)  with the 1 meaning first choices, 2 meaning second choices, etc.   

Law School                             Reasons
1   Florida State University (Instate, great reputation in FL, close enough to Atlanta that I might get a job there too if I want)
1   University of Georgia   (Great reputation at South, low cost of living, great location, close enough to Atlanta, possible job opportunity in FL if I choose to)
1   University of Florida   (Instate, great reputation in FL)
2   Univerity of Tennessee (Great reputation in TN, good reputation at South, hear great things about the location and cost is not that bad)
2   George Mason University (VA is a beautiful state. George Mason is ranked pretty high and it's on the rise)
2   University of Arkansas ACCEPTED with 1/2 tuition scholarship (Read that Fayettevill is an awsome/beautiful place to live.  The cost for me to go to UA is comparable to go to FSU or UF.  Possible job opportunity at the legal department of Wal-mart).
3   Georgia State University (It's in the South...but I don't really want to live in Atlanta DURING law school because of the size of the city and the higher cost)
3   University of Mississippi (Great reputation in MS, but..the lack of diversity(hispanics, asians) of the school and the entire state concerns me)  
3   Stetson University (It's in the South..close to home...good repuation in central FL...but it's a Third Tier and the tuition is high)
4   Saint Louis University  (I applied there because it was free application)
4   Louisiana State University (I want my money back!!..seriously..um..the cost of attending is low compare to lots of schools..it's in the south...but..Louisiana's law is slightly different from other states and that concerns me a little...and the environment in LA is not that great from what I have heard/read)
4   Washington and Lee University(I applied there because it was free application) and it's located in VA. 

I was accepted to University of Arkansas (Tier 2) immediately after my file was completed with an index number of 196 (along with scholarship).  Minimum for in-state is 199 and for out-state is 205.  They claim that they only accept about 20 applicants each year with lower than the indicated index numbers.  I wouldn't mind going to UA, but I would love to get into my 1st and 2nd choices.  Since UA accepted me so soon even with such low numbers, do you think I have a good chance of getting into my 1st and 2nd choices? Any thought/opinons on my choices?

Thanks. 

I doubt it seriously. UA's accepted people like you (and me) before, and as for the rest of the schools... you're probably out of your league. No offense, its just the reality of numbers. I think your best shot would be Florida State out of them all. As far as your acceptance to UA, you applied early (which counts a whole lot with borderline numbers) , and were still within their numbers for the past few years, and you were out of state. (another form of diversity, just not as hardcore as being a URM) For the other schools that you have as number one or two, you are probably like the rest of the people with your numbers...just average. But he you never know right?  ;D You can't get into a school if you don't try. Another word of caution to you though...there are some backward ass people in Arkansas (but if you went to school in Gainsville, you're probably used to it...you know the type of people with mullets, wife beaters, and cut-off blue jeans as shorts) ;)

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2004, 08:08:11 PM »

I think your best shot would be Florida State out of them all.

I hope you're right about this..FSU is definately on the top of my list.  You don't think I have a shot at Stetson?

Hey, maybe I'll surprise you soon and get into a couple more.   8)

UA's accepted people like you (and me) before

Don't be so quick to categorize me with you.  Just because your numbers are similiar to mine or even better than mine doens't mean you belong to my group. So far, I am in at a Tier 2..and you're out at a Third Tier. (I am so drunk  ;) )

FloridaLaw. 

wrmusgro

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2004, 08:57:19 PM »

I think your best shot would be Florida State out of them all.

I hope you're right about this..FSU is definately on the top of my list.  You don't think I have a shot at Stetson?

Hey, maybe I'll surprise you soon and get into a couple more.   8)

UA's accepted people like you (and me) before

Don't be so quick to categorize me with you.  Just because your numbers are similiar to mine or even better than mine doens't mean you belong to my group. So far, I am in at a Tier 2..and you're out at a Third Tier. (I am so drunk  ;) )

FloridaLaw. 

I'm out at a third tier school that will probably be a 2nd tier when the next rankings come out. You're in at a 2nd tier that will probably be a third teir when the next rankings come out. But oh well this is stupid. I guess I just thought you were coming off a little elitist, and I am probably just being too sensitive about not having great numbers to get into some better schools. I think I'll be happy attending Loyola though if I don't get into Georgia State. I'm sure you'll do well attending UA if thats what it comes down to. Sorry if I sounded like an ass. Merry Christmas! :D