Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to salvage LSD and prevent its doom  (Read 1168 times)

ndbisme

How to salvage LSD and prevent its doom
« on: November 26, 2004, 06:40:21 PM »
Aight, bitches, I'm an undergrad and I've been here for about two months now.  Over the course of the months I have seen some pretty stupid garbage on this site and I am confident in saying that this site will become T.T.T. unless something is done, and done quick.

Here's what I suggest you all do to save LSD:

1) Ignore the trolls and other idiots.  Don't reply to them and report them to a moderator.  Don't acknowledge them.

2) Delete all the posts from these idiots.  I don't know how or if it is possible, but if these posts were deleted, these idiots would be discouraged.  If a mod erased their history, all their posts, all evidence of their pathetic existance on LSD, banned their IP address, we wouldn't be bothered by them, and they would have little incentive to mess with LSD.

3) Make DOWNY and other high-volume LSD posters moderators.  Andrew and TDPookie ain't gonna cut it.  I signed the DOWNY petition not because I like his stories, but because he's on this site a lot, and because he has a high incentive to solve the troll problem.  Obviously, dealing with DOWNY, there will need to be some limits so that he doesn't ban everyone or start deleting accounts randomly when he's drunk.  The point remains, however, there needs to be more surveilance on this site.  I'm a member of another discussion site and there is one mod for every area such as "Drinking the Haterade," for example.

Feel free to add what you think will delay or prevent the doom of LSD.  I'm an undergrad and I'd like LSD to be around for at least another four years when I'm applying to law school :).

DOWNY

Re: How to salvage LSD and prevent its doom
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 06:54:39 PM »
I think making DOWNY a mod is the first step to recovery.

GO_PTO

• Sr. Citizen
  • my children... I have returned for law school!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - helios933
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 06:42:04 PM »
so what's the big problem? if you ban everyone who posts comments that hasn't made a big name posting a 1000 times, then nobody will ever join the LSD crew.

If that is plan, why not require a password login and take this site off the web?
(163+172)/3.5

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 06:59:35 PM »
i think the OP was talking about the troll comments.  click on the blue home button above, and click on "drinking the haterade" towards the bottom.  look at some of the stuff, particularly things with 0 replies.  that *&^% gets posted on other boards, then moderators move them to the hate board so they're not cluttering the other boards.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Private Investigator
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 07:01:10 PM »
so what's the big problem? if you ban everyone who posts comments that hasn't made a big name posting a 1000 times, then nobody will ever join the LSD crew.

If that is plan, why not require a password login and take this site off the web?

I don't think anyone even suggested either of those things.

Fortunately, the troll epidemic appears to have subsided for the moment. I think the ignore strategy is the best bet. Attention is food for the trolls, so let's just starve them out.

strouse

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 07:17:42 PM »
If starvation doesn't work, there's always Michael Bolten  ;)

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 07:19:44 PM »

I celebrate his entire catalog.

strouse

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 07:30:55 PM »

He also kicks troll ass in my avatar. Ever seen Office Space?

strouse

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 07:31:42 PM »
just curious... is this meta discussion material?
Yeah, sure

Cute picture :-*

amarain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 07:42:17 PM »

He also kicks troll ass in my avatar. Ever seen Office Space?

;) no, I'm just a Michael Bolton fan. For my money it doesn't get any better than when he sings "When a Man Loves a Woman".

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but your avatar is awesome. That's my favorite part of the whole movie. The first time I watched it, I had to pause during that scene because I was laughing so hard I was crying.