Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer Internships  (Read 826 times)

Noctus

• View Profile
Summer Internships
« on: April 07, 2008, 08:54:06 PM »
Is it necessary and/or helpful to take summer internships as a college student hoping to go to law school.  Also, how important is it to get a good internship the summer after your freshman year of college?  I can't find any internships for which I'm suitable so I'll probably have to work a minimum wage job this summer.

R.P. McMurphy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Internships
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 09:11:23 PM »
dude, i can't believe you're worrying about this already.

good internships will always help, but are not necessary. a good GPA and a good LSAT are most important. relax and enjoy college.
LSN | Washington & Lee University Law Class of 2011

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 10:11:51 PM »
This is the summer after your freshman year? Then this not the summer for internships. This is the summer for working at the pool or whatever you want to do. As someone who has gets to look through a sea of internship resumes, believe me. Enjoy your summer. Gets some more classes under your belt. Get an internship next summer.

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 10:29:56 PM »
Depends on why you want it. If you're just wanting to pad the ol' resume, Chris Rock is right -- don't bother. It's not "important" in that sense -- unlike law school, you're not really expected to have relevant jobs every summer.

For me, though, I wanted to find out as soon as possible if a legal career was really for me. Obviously being a lawyer isn't like watching a courtroom show... I wanted to see what it was really like. I wanted to do that as soon as possible because I intended to get a liberal arts degree, which is a great education but not terribly practical. So if I decided law school was out, I wanted to have as much time as possible to re-focus my studies and possibly change my major to something that would prepare me for a career or at least (non-law) grad school. So in that sense, yes, it might be helpful to get one now.

Plus, I really enjoyed my internship. To me, it was more interesting and better-paying than working at the pool or Taco Bell or whatever. But everyone's different.

As for finding one, try to find a family or friend connection that will let you work for them. Even small firms need runners and stuff like that.
UVA Law Class of 2011

Noctus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 12:25:31 AM »
Thanks for the insightful replies so far guys.  Although this is not a business discussion board, I was also wondering if anyone knew how my initial question stands in regard to business school?