Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Visit to UVA  (Read 1033 times)

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Visit to UVA
« on: October 02, 2004, 07:30:26 PM »
Visited UVA yesterday.  I was the only person that showed up for the tour, the student panel, and the admissions information session, so I pretty much had 3 hours of UVA's undivided attention.

As if I didn't already love the place going in, I am now 100% sold.

I seriously doubt that there are any nicer law school facilities anywhere in the country.  It's beautiful, inside and out.  Each student gets a locker and a mailbox.

Charlottesville is great, too, but I've already lived there for 4 years so they didn't have to sell me on that.

The Student Bar Association has a deal where they will reimburse students for taking professors to lunch.  This is a way of encouraging students to get to know their professors outside of class and class-related activities.  Apparently, many students take advantage.

One thing that was reiterated a lot is that while everyone takes the work very seriously, the students get along really well together and enjoy their time at Virginia Law.  This is reflected in the fact that 47% of alumni donate to the school, which is one of the highest percentages in the country. 

UVA's employment statistics for the last several classes shows how good their reputation is nationally.  I think the figure was that 43 cities nationwide have 5 or more UVA grads.  Tons of clerkships as well.

Virginia gets two very enthusiastic thumbs up.

NigerianGrl

Re: Visit to UVA
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 07:33:56 PM »
hmmmm...not sure what your background is but can you tell us anything about diversity at UVA.
I have always been very intrigued by Thomas Jefferson's school (was acccepted for Undergrad) but I have heard pretty scary things about diversity on its campus.

Victor

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 07:52:50 PM »
hmmmm...not sure what your background is but can you tell us anything about diversity at UVA.
I have always been very intrigued by Thomas Jefferson's school (was acccepted for Undergrad) but I have heard pretty scary things about diversity on its campus.

Hey NigerianGrl . . . . come visit the Black Student Law thread:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4122.0.html

:)

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 07:57:59 PM »
I have heard pretty scary things about diversity on its campus.

Like what?  

UVA sometimes gets a bad rap for diversity (especially socioeconomically), but I personally don't believe it's entirely deserved.  I went to UVA as an undergrad, and I credit the school with expanding my world view in very big ways.  Most of my good friends there would be considered "diverse:" Asian, black, gay/lesbian, international, etc.  I had a class with Stokely Carmichael's son.  I had friends who came from poor families (one of my roommates' dad went fishing every day when she was a kid so the family would have something to eat for dinner), and friends who came from rich families.  There is definitely a place for everyone.  

The law school has smaller restrictions than the College of Arts and Sciences on the number of in-state students they are required to take.  Because the school is so well-renowned nationally, UVA Law draws students from all over.  

You may also want to ask Mukhia if you can ever find her lurking around.  She went to UVA undergrad as well and may have more to add.

DESI

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 08:03:46 PM »
kgd, umm, i'm back.  so what did you think of my schoool?  did your talk with the prof go well?

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 08:06:46 PM »
Hey there...I thought you had given up on us!  Emory was great, despite the hurricane.  Thanks so much for your suggestion to talk with Prof. Bederman - he was really awesome in answering all my questions, and gave some great advice.

Plus I love Atlanta!

UVA is my first choice, but Emory is definitely high on my list, I would say even more so after visiting.  I think Emory's admissions office did a much better job at selling the school to prospective students than Duke.

DESI

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 08:09:37 PM »
it was really nice meeting you!  i was a bit sleep deprived that day, but i'm glad that prof bederman helped you out.  anyone else that will be visiting Emory can email me for tips.  now make sure you send a follow up email to him (and cc admissions) thanking him for his time.

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004, 08:13:26 PM »
Of course!  I'm trying to write one that will convey sincere appreciation without too much cheese.

DESI

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2004, 08:14:36 PM »
speaking of cheese, you missed a bunch of great wine/cheese socials this week.  it seemed like there was alcohol at the LS every day this week for something or the other.

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004, 08:18:02 PM »
Celebrating my departure, eh?  I see how it is.