Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Visit to Duke  (Read 588 times)

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Visit to Duke
« on: October 02, 2004, 07:09:48 PM »
I visited Duke on Thursday.....

The tour guides were nice - both 1Ls, so they couldn't tell me much about employment recruiting and on-campus interviewing at Duke.  However, they were very enthusiastic about Duke. 

The building looked a little 60s-ish from the outside, but it's very evident that the inside has undergone much renovation.  The facilities are great and easy to get around.  They're also adding on another wing and enclosing the courtyard, so there will be more space in the near future.

It seems as though summer-start joint degree applicants may have less competition (in terms of volume of applicants), and may be at a small advantage in the admissions process, so it's definitely something to think about if you have a particular interest.

I met with one of the comparative law professors, who spoke to me at length about the particular strengths at Duke.  Their international and comparative law faculty is apparently in a rebuilding phase, but is still fairly strong.

I sat in on a 1L torts class.  I was somewhat surprised that none of the students in that class were taking notes on laptops.  I don't know if that's a schoolwide rule, or just that professor.  However, all the classrooms have laptop hookups. 

Duke also has lockers available.  I think students have to pay a deposit to get one.

One thing I particularly liked about Duke is that they frequently (several times a week) have guest speakers.  These are often sponsored by various groups in the law school, and students who show up early enough get free lunch to sit it on the lectures.  I went to one by a visitng lawyer from Hamburg, Germany who handles cases for reparations to Jewish victims of Nazi persecution before and during WWII.  Very interesting.  The other speaker on Thursday was the President of the ACLU, but I missed that lecture.

If you want to talk to people in the admissions office when visiting, you have to make an appointment.  They don't have a regularly-scheduled information session like some other schools.  Also, they don't freely give out viewbooks or application packets if you go on the tour.  I suppose you could get one if you asked, but I didn't bother since I've gotten most of what I need off the internet.

Overall, I give Duke a thumbs up.

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Visit to Duke
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 08:11:49 PM »
Yeah, there are definitely a lot of speakers both from the law school and the general university community.  You missed a good speech from Nadine Strossen.

She's a wonderful lady.  We had dinner with her before the speech, and she's really passionate about this and knows her stuff.

DESI

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 08:12:51 PM »
Abs, do the undergrads, on the whole, do anything at Duke?  Emory undergrads, for the most part, seem really worthless.

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 08:23:20 PM »
Politically, it's a really small group that really does much.  The undergrad is known for being relatively apathetic.  A lot of people will show up for talks and fora on the main campus, but most won't commit themselves to a cause.

Also, I think that most law students here have no idea what goes on on the undergrad campus here.  They are two completely separate worlds.

DESI

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 08:25:41 PM »
well, my impression of Emory undergrads is that they sleep, workout, and smoke weed all day.  they go to temple on the high holy days.  i could be unfair though, but my only interaction with them is when i see them at the gym.  i try to avoid them with a plague. 

gobears

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 09:06:53 PM »
Thanks kgd2b1, that was helpful!

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 09:59:01 PM »
If anybody has any questions about Duke in general (I'm an undergrad, but I'll do my best to answer about the law school where I can), I'd be more than happy to try to answer.